What's new

Brother - Region 1 (1 Viewer)

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
Avoid this title
I've posted a review of the Region 3 of this title in the Regional DVD area. You may want to read that one as well.
Avoid the Region 1 title at all costs. It's horrible. Downright awful. The only other title in my collection that has worse video would be Highlander, The Directors cut. The audio for this title is nothing compared to the Region 3. It sounds muddy and has a compressed range compared to the DTS region 3.
It is also cut by a few frames and features digital editing of a few scenes. The cuts changed the impact of the movie for me. I'm probably going to keep this copy and get the region 2. If nothing to show how bad a transfer can be, and how good one can be as well. I'm just hoping it's as good as everyone says it is.
Mike

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Yes, the R2 Japanese DVD is the best version for those with NTSC only equipment. It does have dts & Dolby Digital Japanese sound options with English & Japanese subtitles. But you are going to pay a hefty price for this version. Its about $40.00 from CD Japan(www.cdjapan.co.jp) plus S&H.
If you can not justify paying that much, the R3 Hong Kong release is also NTSC with dts, Dolby Digital, and stereo Japanese sound options. English and Chinese(simplified & traditional) subtitles are provided on the disc. The only problem is this version is presented in letterbox widescreen. The price is nice though, Yes Asia(www.yesasia.com) is selling it for about $10.00 plus S&H.
For those who have PAL capability, the R2 UK version is also uncut and presented in anamorphic widescreen. Price is a lot nicer than the Japanese disc(about $20, I think).

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Is the japanese dvd really 144 mins. The R1 is 113 mins and is cut from what I've read. The R2 is around 108 (PAL speedup) and uncut. Is the 144 a typo?

Ali B

Second Unit
The R2 UK version also has a really really good documentary on it too. Too bad most US TVs can't handle PAL :frowning:
ali

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chauncey
Mikko,

The Japanese DVD is 114 minutes. The typo is on the DVD case. It indicates the movie is 144 minutes long, when it is actually 114 minutes long.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Another minor problem with region 3 disc is that the English subs translate every word sspoken - even words in English! There is no way to have them come on just when a language other that English is spoken.
If you are in Region one, and this is not one of your very favorite films, this is the version to get, as delivered from http://DDDhouse.com it is around $10 as stated above.
Picture quality and sound are good for a non-anamorphic release, and very good compared to many other non-anamorphic region 3 releases I own like Batlle Royale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks