What's new

Breaking the Waves - cropped? (1 Viewer)

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to get Artisan's release of Breaking the Waves, but the description at amazon and other retailers says it's in 1.85:1, yet B.T.W. has an OAR of 2.35:1. Is the film cropped or is the cover text wrong?
MAthias

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry - those specs (and the ones on the back of the case) are incorrect. The Artisan disc is in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD is also the unrated cut (or so I believe) and not the R rated version stated on the back cover. Anyone who can confirm this or elaborate? I get dizzy with different edtis of movies to soothe various moral minorities...
Nonetheless, a great-looking bones bones DVD. And appropriately priced.

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
We went over this when the DVD originally came out, and I think it was decided that the DVD has the R-rated version. One way to tell for sure -- do you see Bess, ahem, touch Jan's penis on their wedding night? If not, it's the R-rated cut.
-bf-
------------------
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's the "R-rated" cut, but IMO it doesn't detract from the film (quite unlike that abominably cut version of The Idiots on the all-region Fejui disc).
I keep hoping for a special edition of BtW, uncut and with an anamorphic transfer, but the Artisan disc has served me well in the meanwhile. It's worth every penny of that low, low price.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure the "uncut" version has ever been seen outside of a few film festivals when it first premiered. As far as the film's format, Leonard Maltin's book says it's Super 35--which it is definitely not. It's anamorphic 2.35:1.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The uncut version was released everywhere except North America. There is a French DVD available with this version. The Criterion laserdisc is also the unrated version.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... FWIW the French DVD of Breaking The Waves features an anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer ...and English and French MPEG2 soundtracks, which -probably?- wouldn't play on R1 players, regardless of whether these were 'chipped' or not, nor -probably?- on such 'all-region' players as the Malata ...and non-optional French subtitles if the English soundtrack is selected...
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=232 . . .

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...OTOH the German DVD is transferred at anamorphic 2.35:1 ... but when the DD 2.0 English soundtrack is selected, non-optional German subtitles are included in the bargain...
Link Removed . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks