What's new

"Braided" Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I have no brand in mind here, but I've seen a reference that "braided" wire, such as 16gauge, exhibits more robust characteristics, say equivalent to 14 gauge. What gives?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
define robust and furthermore define braided. if i take it as I 'think' you mean, then one can braid wire such that the net effect is a decrease in inductance albeit at a capacitance increase. For example you could take a 4 x 16 gauge wire, and depending upon how you combined the four conductors to make two, wind up with wire that was electrically (L,C,R) 'identical' to 13 gauge or one with lower L but greater C than 13 gauge.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I'm dealing with hearsay at this point. A guy I'm talking to said his "Professional Installer" and "Consultant" proferred braided 16gauge as equivalent to 14 gauge. That's all I know...I'll let it go...

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i could be wrong here:
but if you took regular speaker wire, and braided all the strands together, wouldnt it shorten the speaker length a bit? so if you had 2 16ga cables, both 10ft long, wouldnt the braided one be a little bit denser?
as for each side of the conductor (positive / negative), "twisting" them would decrease on the interferance like in cat5 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks