What's new

Boston Acoustics--VR975 vs 950 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
OK, my budget is getting bigger by the day, it seems.;)

Is the Boston Acoustics VR975 a good idea as towers for audio with no separate sub? Meaning is the powered sub it contains enough for the job vs a good separate powered sub?

In comparison,how about the VR950s with a separate posered sub? How would this compare to the above?

Finally, any good online reputable sites for online Boston and other top line audio equipment?

Thanks!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Without knowing your room specifics it's tough to say but generally speaking you'll get more flexibility (and ofter higher performance) going with a separate sub.

However, if space is a major concern powered towers can perform quite well.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
The BA's VR series speakers that I have heard are very good- don't recall the exact model right now. I agree with Camp though in that a seperate sub is generally prefered, even with true full range speakers. I know that ebay often has a lot of BA products, but it's ebay and you need to be careful there. I bought my center and surrounds to match my 12 year old fronts via ebay and all was well, but I've heard stories. They often have great deals on BA subs which are very well liked for the most part- but like with most audio- BA's top subs cost a pretty penny. As far as where to buy new BA is concerned- I know Harvey's Electronics (.com?) sometimes has sales on BA products but otherwise they run at full tag- Ouch! i think tweeter sells BA, too.
What other speakers have you considered as there are a lot of quality speakers this price range?

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
I've also considered Klipsch and Mirage Omnis. I heard though that the Mirages don't do well directly up against a wall and Klipschs can sound a bit "harsh" although they sounded good to me in showroom.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
One thing to keep in mind in terms of how speakers sound -and I apolagize in advance if this is something you already are aware of- is that how a speaker sounds in a showroom may be very different than the way it will sounds in your home. The room dyamics will most likely change; therefore, if possible, buy with the option to return after a good in-home trial run. I've heard others talk about this very effect with Klipschs speakers also. I happen to be a boston fan over the years past- don't know how the new series really sound, except I did hear the VR965 (I believe it was that model) at Harveys and it did very well for me but again- I would have wanted a seperate sub in addition to this speaker from that brief trial- I wasn't really doing this kind of comparing though. Luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks