What's new

BOSE.....reminds me of ZENITH in the 70's (1 Viewer)

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the 1970s and early 80s zenith advertising for their console and "bookshelf" stereos?....kinda sounds like the crap bose uses about "rich" "room filling" and so on. To me growing up with some zentith stuff seemed okay as a little kid...then when I learned what real sound was it was a real laugh. We owned a zenith "console stereo"...looked like a dresser with a radio and record player and 8-track inside it. It had 2 10" woofers and I think 3" tweeters. Talk about bad sound. No treble at all....muddy as hell, and a 60HZ boom that would make CERWIN VEGA proud...!!..kinda like a worn out jukebox sound. But guess what?...old people LOVED IT !!...dont ask me why..Just like bose. The receiver part was maybe 12 watts per channel from 35-16000 HZ if I remember right. Well at least zenith gave specs of their speakers etc.....;)

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Kevin....

I see no reason to bad mouth Zenith.....at least it wasn't priced 4 times too high for what it was....

Russ

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I think everybody's console stereo's (remember Curtis-Mathes, RCA, GE, Sylvania, etc.) were mediocre at best, not just Zenith. They were aimed at people who wanted to buy a sound system that included the furniture to house it in, did not require any hook-up and sounded "OK".

In the 70's Zenith built some of the best Television sets of the era.

Less than audiophile quality from their console stereo's is no reason to badmouth Zenith.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
dudes.....not badmouthing....:) ..just remembering fondly. Yeah you guys are deninetely right about them being at least decently priced....HOW DARE I COMPARE TO BOSE:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks