What's new

Bookshelves for $2k or less (1 Viewer)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the VMPS 626R. It is definately a strong contender against the JMLabs, Revel, Sonus Faber, group.

The bass response is rather strong down to 40Hz. The midrange and HF are considered some of (if not the) best in the High End bookshelf speakers.

The big advantage it has is that it has no crossover from 166Hz to about 10Khz.

Although it does not have the "styling" that is prominent in some of the other speakers, when the music is on and the lights are low, it doesn't matter.

I suggest you talk to a few owners and see what they think. Most have come from some very significant high end products (not low end HT speakers)

I am a dealer for several lines of speakers and I have their "big" "BIG", brother the RM40, and it is beyond description for two channel listening.

The 626R is the same components drivers in a smaller or reduced version.

Just something to consider.

Best Regards,

John

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Good question.

In a multiple driver speaker the goal is to create a "seamless" sonic reproduction through the audible frequency range.

The bad news is, that different size drivers do not have the same characteristics as the ones above and below them, so the fewer the drivers the better.

The tone, timbre, and other properties of different size drivers make it difficult to create this seamless sonic image.

And each time we have to use a different driver, we need a crossover to "blend" it with its partner.

Crossovers, as sophisticated as they are, cannot do this seamlessly. They have to have a "slopping" intersecting point where one driver is rolled off (lowered) and the other is rolled in (made louder).

This means that at some section of the frequency response certain anomalies will be introduced that are not generally present in the operating frequency of a (quality) single driver.

Also "any" additional interuption or modification to a signal path "degrades" it.

So in most cases, it is desirable to:

1) interupt the signal as little as possible
2) reduce the amount of drivers

It seems that the most sensitive regions are not in the typical bass regions (although they certainly suffer too), but are more noticable in the Midrange and HFs.

The region from 166Hz - 10Khz is a very important section of the spectrum and being able to use a single driver here seems to offer great advantages.

Less coloration, tonal interuption.

In particular to the VMPS I mentioned, is that the Neodynium Ribbon is built and responds differently than a "cone" driver simply by design.

The mass of the radiating surface is "substantially" less than the mass (and resulting momentum) of a cone, which allows for a much greater resolving power to that portion of the sonic spectrum.

It can be set into motion faster, and will not have "over ring" due to the reduced mass's abilty to decelerate more effectively.

Hope that helps.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.