1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Bookshelves for $2k or less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm looking for suggestions for bookshelf speakers under $2000US. I've heard (and fell in love) with the Revel M20. I particularly liked it's ability to render bass (something I didn't expect from a speaker this small).

I will use these speakers in a music only system and will not be using a subwoofer. I listen to modern rock/punk/pop if that matters at all.

The more suggestions the better so I know where to go audition.

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

If it's for a music only system with no subwoofer, can I ask why you want bookshelves? I know there are some nice bookshelves in this range like the Revels and B&W Nautilus, but I've always been disappointed with the bass response, you aren't going to get floor stander levels there is no if's and's or but's about it.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

For dynamic range and great bass response, have you thought about the 25th anniversary ACI Sapphire's? A lot of people that have demoed both the B&W Nautilus 805's and the previous model Sapphires (the LE's) prefered the Sapphires. At $1200 a pair, they are well within your budget and are often compared to speakers twice their price. I know that's cliche, but you have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them and that's pretty rare. You only have to pay for shipping if you don't. What's $40 for a 30 day demo?

The new 25th anniversary Sapphire is suppose to be greatly fortified in the bass area and is suppose to carry the ability to play much louder than the previous version without sounding strained.

www.audioc.com

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

5. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I really enjoyed listening to the B&W Nautilus 805. It sounded wonderful with the McIntosh Electronics running them.

6. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

If you want a more laid back sound try some Psb stratus minis....=)

7. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

Here's some ideas I would look into if I was looking for bookshelf - 2-channel stereo:

Paradigm Reference Studio 20 and 40 ($1200 for the 40's in real wood - $900 in laminate....get the wood though)
    http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

RBH Signature 61-SE ($999/pr in optional wood finish - $799 in black)
    http://www.rbhsound.com/inroom/signature/61.htm

Also, they have a 25th anneversary limited edition of the same speaker, but it uses their Status Acoustics line (very high class line) drivers. Hard to find a demo though (about $1795/pr)

Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 (about $1495/pr)
    http://www.monitoraudio.com/products/gold/index.html

JMLab Electra 906 ($1999/pr)
    http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/electra/

Also, the Revels would be on my list.

8. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Totem Model 1, Rokk, Mani

9. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Used to own the B&W Nautilus 805's, they are very good speakers and I was always happy with them, but after hearing the JMlab speakers I sold them and made the switch. I got the Electra 906's and I absolutely loved them. To me they sound better in every aspect as compared to the Nautilus 805's for the same price. I've heard that Absolute Sound is about to name the Electra 906's as their choice for speaker of the year in one of their upcoming editions. You should really go check them out if you get a chance, you won't be disappointed.

You can find a local dealer throught this website:
    www.audioplusservices.com

Good Luck,
    Brandon

10. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Harbeth Compact 7. Extremely uncolored midrange lets all the music shine through. Decent bass for a stand-mount. $1995.

11. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Is the Compact 7 only $1995 the pair? I seem to remember it cost more like $3000 when I owned them.

12. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Camp,

I'll probably get blasted for this but one bookself speaker in your price range that no one has mentioned is the Infinity Intermezzo 2.6. This is a great sounding speaker that is very hightech and retails for 2k/pr but I'm sure could be had for less.

Here's a link to a review in Stereophile mag.

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?364

Good luck
    Phil

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have a ton of research to do!

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  15. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

"Is the Compact 7 only $1995 the pair? I seem to remember it cost more like $3000 when I owned them."

Yes. The US list price was $2469 last year. Harbeth recently changed their North American importer. The new guy apparently immediately cut some (or all?) of the list prices about 20%. To my ears/taste, even the higher price was a steal.

16. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

Totem for sure. I have the Rokk's but with your budget, you should be able to go up 1 or 2 models!

Cheers,
    Chris

17. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I have a set of Onix Ref 1's on the way and I will let you know what I think. They will retail for $1599 although there will be introductory deals through AV123.com. Call them and speak to Steve and get his input. By the way, put Triangle on your short list. They are a French manufacturer as is JM Labs and they have some wonderful sounding speakers that do not break the bank. Also the designer of the Onix speakers came from Triangle so the speakers probably have a similar sound.

18. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

Nautilus 805. No question in my mind about that.

19. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Jm Reynaud Trentes or Twin Mk III

20. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What about the new Mirage omnipolar speakers? A friend suggested them. Has anyone heard them? They're interesting to look at (I guess). I'm not even sure how much they are.