What's new

Blade Runner 2049 - 10.6.17 (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A little late to the conversation, but regarding the nature of the replicants...

In the original film when Roy Batty confronts Eldon Tyrell and proclaims "I want more life, fucker." Tyrell's response is: "The facts of life... to make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.

after more dialog Tyrell says "..., so the newly formed DNA strand carries with it a mutation - and you've got a virus again..."

Clearly organic as per the first film. While this does not in and of itself preclude some form of mechanical augmentation it seems likely that a simple x-ray or cat scan would detect non-organic material and the blade runners would not need to employ the Voight-Kampff test to detect replicants. So I'll argue 100% organic.

- Walter.

This is correct, they are organic, grown in a lab. So, they are not mechanical in any way. I went back and looked at statements from the people that created this "universe" and they are consistent stating they are organic...not machines. However, they are treated as machines...likely to enhance the idea that a Blade Runner is not killing an actual person. I guess the one question people will have is why they do the eyes separately but it may be because they want to somehow create enhanced superior eyes for them.

So, the question is addressed by the creators of the films and they meant for them to be organic all along.

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
2049 = Overlong. For me its a history repeats itself, the first one didn't go down well and the this is also struggling at the box office although I would throw into the mash the Cinema scene has changed a great deal in the last 12 months around here to the point where they are grabbing at straws. Our local flicks has all new reclining electric arm chairs and reduced seating capacity as result. Cinema audiences they are a changing..

Sitting there in was it summer 1982 on its first day of opening with around 20 or so others the Cinema wasn't really packed, it wasn't until the passing of time it turned cult as did the likes of Withnail & I another first day screening I sat through nearly empty. Have to say that of the hours watching 2049 I managed to stay awake it was slow going and so ponderous perhaps as it was the same sort of thing all over again and for me personally I couldn't see what questions were supposed to have been answered from the original film. The first film looked at what's android and what's human and this was just the same.

On the upside we generally liked the colour pallet and the overall look so if praise is due for me it would be for that. Sorry not really a winner but to each his own.:)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Big difference theater wise at least for me is that the screens are larger and the sound systems are much, much better. The theaters are also cleaner by and large. In the early 1980s most of the movies I saw were at a very run down theater built in the 1960's that was originally 1 screen that was subdivided in the late '70s into 2 screens and then finally 4 screens. So the screens were smaller than today as well. Outside of that theater most of the movies I caught were in the mall which were pretty pathetic too (and usually very dirty). I remember our local mall had a first run theater on one end of the mall (near the food court) and a dollar theater near the Mervyn's. On allowance day as a kid my mom would shop and I'd hit that dollar theater. I caught quite a few movies in the 1980's that way. I think the last one I saw there before it shut down was Back to the Future III. Unfortunately I didn't catch Blade Runner (the original) in the theater. Probably because of the rating.

Has 2049 broke even? I hope it makes a little bit of a profit. I think it's a great film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Big difference theater wise at least for me is that the screens are larger and the sound systems are much, much better. The theaters are also cleaner by and large. In the early 1980s most of the movies I saw were at a very run down theater built in the 1960's that was originally 1 screen that was subdivided in the late '70s into 2 screens and then finally 4 screens. So the screens were smaller than today as well. Outside of that theater most of the movies I caught were in the mall which were pretty pathetic too (and usually very dirty). I remember our local mall had a first run theater on one end of the mall (near the food court) and a dollar theater near the Mervyn's. On allowance day as a kid my mom would shop and I'd hit that dollar theater. I caught quite a few movies in the 1980's that way. I think the last one I saw there before it shut down was Back to the Future III. Unfortunately I didn't catch Blade Runner (the original) in the theater. Probably because of the rating.

Has 2049 broke even? I hope it makes a little bit of a profit. I think it's a great film.
With a $150 million Budget it needs about $400 million worldwide to break even.

So far it’s WW gross is $196 million. It may break even after all the ancillary sales but it’s gonna be tough.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

This film would not be expected to play well in China so I sincerely doubt this is a surprise. Blade Runner 2049 is thoughtful, intelligent, carefully paced and the dialogue matters. Geostorm however is exactly the kind of big dumb action driven nonsense fest that translates well for worldwide distribution. It does not matter what people say or do in Geostorm...just what blows up next and that there is barely a pause between explosions.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't want to insult anyone who liked Geostorm but seeing the trailer for it, it looked like a parody of an action movie trailer that you'd see in a comedy rather than a real movie.

When I saw the preview, I said "Wow, there's the worst movie I'm never going to see."

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That sucks.

Yes, it does. I'm truly not surprised, though. It's a cerebral Sci-Fi movie with a leisurely pace. I still think it was excellent and will eventually make back its production costs on home video. It might take a few years, though. With the impending death of physical media, I just wonder if the numbers for purchases of digital streaming will have the same kind of impact that sales of physical media have had since the 1980's. Younger folks don't seem to purchase films, either physically or digitally. If it's streaming on something like Netflix or available for free on pirate sites, they'll watch it, but they don't really pay for movies, books, or music. It's anecdotal evidence, but I can't tell you how many teenagers laughed at me whenever I recommended buying or renting a movie or buying a digital song or album. I was flat out told on several occasions, "I've never paid for music," or "I don't pay for movies." I guess that's why it seems to be a much bigger deal these days that a film overperform during it's opening week in theaters. The home video life of a film is just not what it once was.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess an art visioning of a mundane missing person hunt couldn't appeal to enough people.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I made a point to see this in the theater before it gets ejected by the Last Jedi. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's rare these days for me to consider picking up the Blu-ray on its release date or even try to figure out if I can make it to the theater again for a second viewing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The digital release is out today.

I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray, but if WB continues with their usual $24.99 release week crap, I'll probably just wait even longer for a price drop. I liked the film, but not enough to pay that much when it will drop in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks