What's new

BIOS does not see BTC BDV316C DVD-ROM drive? (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,
I have a really unusual issue.
I just bought a BTC BDV316C DVD-ROM drive to replace the old Pioneer SD-M1202 drive that recently died and interestingly enough, the BIOS during POST does not detect that drive! :frowning:
What puzzles me is that after the system boots it's seen okay in Windows 98 System Properties/Device Manager display.
Does anyone know did I set the jumper setting for the Master/Slave setting on the drive wrong, and how to set it right so the BIOS does see the drive correctly? :confused:

Does the drive work in windows?

If you have two devices connected to one channel, one device must be master, the other must be slave. if all your devices work in windows, then everything is probably set up jumber wise. It's possible for a drive to not be seen during POST, and still work. I would check the BIOS settings to make sure the devices are set for auto detect, and not none. This could be the problem.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Yes, the drive works in Windows 98. :)
But still, I can't fathom why the system BIOS is NOT detecting the drive correctly. I still want to know if I set the jumper settings correctly, too.
Please note the drive is the only device connected to the Secondary IDE channel.
Help. :confused:

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
By the way, I found the solution for the problem.
It seems BTC shipped the drives with the jumper setting for the drive to work as a slave drive in the IDE channel. I was able with careful examination of the drive change the drive setting to master, and the problem was solved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks