What's new

Better Jobs for Teenagers? (1 Viewer)

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 18 and I've worked at KB Toys since July but now that the Christmas rush is over the hours I work have dropped a considerable amount and I'd like to look into getting a second job. Now I hope this doesn't seem far-fetched but I'm looking for something that pays $10/hr or more, allows me to work afternoons/nights (I'm in high school), and preferably doesn't involve the food industry (this might change but I'd like to stay away from bussing/waiting job).

I'm fairly well versed in computer hardware, building computers, using different software, and I have what I feel is a pretty good overall knowledge of things. I'm a fast learner and have a good work ethic. However, I'm having problems with where to start my search. I know there are jobs out there like pharmacists assistants, computer assistants and things like that but I figured HTF would be a great place to get options I probably never would have considered or even thought about.

Thank you for your time.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Well, my first real job was working at an ice cream place one summer, couldn't complain. After that I started temping and never got paid under $10, with the best rate being at $12 or $12.50 for basically a cushy office job. Then again, that was the summertime and regular business hours. If you're trying to work while you're going to school, then I'm not too sure what to recommend, sorry.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Waiting tables is a good way to earn a decent amount of money (my cousin earns more than $10 per hour in cash tips, only works about 15 hours a week while in school, and still manages to make some decent cash), but I understand why people would not want to do it...

I hate any form of customer service, waiting on customers, etc... I have luckily been able to avoid this all my life so far at least... I try to avoid it as much as possible...

My advice... I dont know... You are kind of limited with the hours you can work, going to school, etc...

Maybe you can get into something... Does your High School offer internships of any kind??? If so, maybe look into that... If you were in college, you would have more options (many colleges offer internships with companies at both the Associate and Bachelor levels)...

If you hate doing certain things, maybe you should just try and cut your costs (if you buy lots of unneeded junk) if at all possible and live off just the one job while finishing High school for the time being... I dont know many people who try to work 2 jobs and go to High School... That might be a little overkill actually when trying to keep up grades, etc... If you plan on going to college, your biggest concern should be those grades right now...

If you dont have a choice or need the money, just start looking at things of interest to you... Start applying to jobs, ask anyone you can about open jobs, call places of interest to you and ask if there are any openings, etc... I am sure there is a company somewhere that would be pleased to have you especially with computer skills...

Kevin Royal

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it's tough getting a job in high school that pays well unless you're willing to wait tables...

My advice would be to try and cut costs, that's what I did when I was in high school last year. Cut out the stuff you don't really need, which for me was stuff like eating fast food, buying dvd's, etc., you'll be surprised at how much you spend once you try and keep track of it.

KR

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
How about delivering pizzas? $15/hr on weekends and an average of $8-12 on weekdays. Schedules are always flexible and managers are willing to work around yours. Make sure you have a fairly reliable car and try to work in a store whose delivery area is in a nice neighborhood.

Either that or wait tables if you want to break the $10/hr barrier.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I thought about delivering pizzas myself a couple years ago... It is just the type of job that freaks me out, sort of like working in a convienent store... Going around in the dark to strange peoples doors, down alleys, etc... Just not my thing... But, the money is pretty good...

Dont get me wrong... It's something I would have done if I had to... It's not the job itself that would bother me, it would be the freaky people...

I dont know... Maybe I have just seen too many movies... lol...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Heh, since i recently quit my McJob at the mall selling sporting goods, i've been wondering what other jobs there are out there for teenagers that aren't your basic teenager jobs (Workin at the mall, fast food place, etc)

I dont think i'd have the skills to be a waiter...

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator
Try working construction?

If you're in High School and looking for a high paying, part time job that isn't in the food industry and that will hire you with no real skills, your best bet may be relocating to some kind of alternate reality.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
When I was a young teen, I worked in a movie theater's game room. Job wasn't very good and I pretty much lost faith in humanity after finally realizing how stupid people really are. Now I'm 21, paying my way through college with the a pretty good job working in a warehouse. I make $8.50 an hour starting pay and get to start at 3:30 picking grocery store orders. I get a decent workout (have been eating like a champ since I started and haven't put on any fat) plus I don't have to deal with too many people, which seems to be something that appeals to you. You may want to call some warehouses in the area, or to get a genral idea of jobs that may suit your tastes and time needs, check out a college newspaper's classifieds...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was a lifeguard in high school. I mostly worked at apartment complexes. Didn't work during the school year, for the most part.

It was a great job, and I got some real skills out of it. I also was in great shape! I got paid well, was respected by my boss, and added some good skills to my resume.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
When I was in highschool I pumped gas (back when people did it for you!), and drove a hearse on weekends! :eek:

The hearse job also entailed odd-jobs at a funeral home. Who knew there were places that waxed a service vehicle everytime it came back to the garage.

Oh yeah..If I never smell Turtle wax 'hard shell' liquid wax again....

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, if you are pretty good at building computers, you should hit up some local computer shops that sell some pre- built systems, usually they advertise their systems in the paper. Someone has to put them together from off the shelf parts. Maybe you might get to do some occaisional interesting work like troubleshooting as well.

Also, you might try some homebuilders. They might be able to use you part time in the afternoons cleaning up houses and sites.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it sounds like you have strong pc skills.

how about working for a consumer electronic store - circuit city, good guys, best buy, etc.

pay is usually decent. i'm working part-time at bb (ht dept) and making 9 bucks an hour. not bad for standing around and talking ht all day...

DavidAM

Second Unit
Not sure how much it pays today, but I'd get a job in a grocery store or Wal-Mart (or something similar) and be the guy in the back that blocks groceries, stocks shelves, brings out the large purchases from the warehouse, etc. It's a pretty easy and lenient job that allows for a lot of time to screw off and you're usually in the A/C :D I worked in a grocery store when I was a teenager and it was fun (as much fun as you can have with a job anyway). :D

I'd certainly try looking into some local PC places. That's what I'm doing now, cause I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm in high school and need a job on the side to help pay for my DVD purchases (I've been bad so far this month, 12 Criterions...). I currently have a job at Burger King, and let me tell you, it's pretty terrible. This is one of those jobs where you dread coming into work, not because it's hard, but because it's absolutly mind numbing. I only work an eight hour shift on Sundays, but it's still pretty bad and I'm really hoping to find another job. So yeah, fast food is a no-go. You don't want to be there :) Good luck in your search, though.

James T

Screenwriter
Don't you need to be A+ certified to work PC tech at places like Best Buy?

In any case, you should get A+ certified if you want to enter the computer field. The test itself is easy. I know computers, but there are millions of other people that know more. And I walked in without studying and passed with flying colours. certifictation will really help you find computer jobs easier.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I don't know what the requirements are, but the IRS is usually hiring around this time of year for temporary stuff. It might actually help on your resume if you're going into a govt or accounting related job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks