Best satellite speakers < US$1k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronn_R, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

I'm looking for a good/best satellite speakers for under US$1k. I know that bigger speakers will sound better, but I really need a small size one. The receiver that I'll be using is either one of these(I'm still looking): denon 2802, marantz 6200/7200 and H&K 320/520. I'm going to use this for 80% HT and 20% music.
    What do you guys think about the following speakers: Energy Take 5.2, Paradigm Cinema, and Bose Acoustimass(just kidding [​IMG] ). Any other models I should look into? I know there is one by NorH, but I like a more conventional shape.
    Thanks.

2. Greg Schex

Greg Schex Agent

I have a 2802 with Def Tech Procinema 100's great speakers with a not so conventional shape sorta like those Paradigms in design but I thought the sound was much fuller.(bigger drivers too) I also liked the Boston Acoustics 9000's and the little M&K's K-5's.

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

paradigm cinemas are really good. i have them, and compared to psb 1b image ( i have these too ), they are just as good.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Ronn,
    Bigger speakers do not always sound better, especially in this price range. Are you looking for a surround package (5 speakers + sub) or just 2 main speakers? The Diva is another popular internet-direct speaker...

5. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

I have to see how unconventional look is the DefTech.
    I am looking fo 5.1 package. Isn't the Diva speakers kinda big though?
    Anybody have experience with the Energy Take 5.2?

6. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

7. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Ron:
    Check out this buyer's guide to 5.1 systems with an MSRP between $500 and $1000 USD.
    Hope it helps,
    Jeff

8. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I really enjoyed the Energy Encore system that I heard the other day!! I'm not sure if it quite fits into your price specifications though??

9. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I just helped my brother set up an ht with 5 boston bravos very nice speakers and the mounting is very versatile

Bob

10. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

hi,

i am running Def Tech ProCinema 100s through Yammy RXV1200. If you are looking at 80% HT, Yammy could be an excellent choice for receivers. Much better than D2802.

For speakers, ProCinemas are excellent satellites. They sound fantastic and look great also. Their looks are not unconventional at all and in fact would appeal to people who prefer conventional speaker's looks.

11. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

Jeffrey, where did you see the deal? I went to axiom website and select the Epic Micro, but there is no sign that I'll get a free stand.
    Thanks Jeff_Fitz for the link, it's a nice comparison of the satellite speakers specs.
    Energy Encore is a bit more than my budget, I'll have to audience it first and compare it to the 5.2 to see whether it worths the price difference.
    Sanjiva, in what ways does your Yammy sounds much better compare to Denon? I went to Audio King today and compared Denon 3802 vs Yammy 2200. I notice a little different in music, the Yammy seems to have more bass. Anyway I did not spend that much time listening.

12. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    you could also try auditioning the KEF KHT2005's. metal "eggs" which look really cool, with a subwoofer.

I personally found that when playing music, there wasn't enough bass, but for HT they're fine.

14. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
  15. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Check out Atlantic Technology T70 or T90. They have some tempting deals bundled with receivers at onecall.com

Have also read some good reviews about Acoustic Research HC-6

No experience with either....just adding to the list of possibilities

16. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Dahlquist just introduced a new 5.1 speaker system this month that sounds way beyond it's price range. I am very impressed with it overall.
    [​IMG]

17. felix_suwarno

i dont think the smallest diva ( 2.1 ) for 5.1 system could be purchased for under 1000.

and i prefer cinemas to take5-2. because the take5-2 would force me to purchase an 8 inch sub. with the cinemas, i could purchased a 10 inch sub ( pdr10 ) instead of pdr8. the price difference between both subs were not that great.

18. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

The Take 5.2 can actually be purchased without the sub too.

19. felix_suwarno

the dealer wont let me. it was last year (october).

20. Ronn_R

Ronn_R Agent

Jeffrey, thanks for the deal link.
    I looked at KEF but as I said before I prefer a more conventional shape(to me it would be cubic type shapes).
    The Atlantic Tech T70 is just right below my maximum budget, do you think it worths the price? The AR HC-6 is much cheaper at around $460.
    Marc, I've never heard anything about Dahlquist, do you have any comparison with other speakers?
    Felix, how does the sound between the Take 5.2 and Paradigm compare regardless of the subs? Is it that much different in sound between an 8' and 10' driver? How much did you pay for the Paradigm, if you don't mind sharing? I was able to find online the Take 5.2 + subs + 2.2 stands for ~770 shipped.
    Anyway, I'll be going to Minneapolis this weekend to go to some audio stores.
    Thanks everybody for the replies! You're all have been very helpfull.