What's new

Best RP HDTV For Under $2000... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
To play mostly HT movies, HDTV/DTV programming and alot of Xbox gaming! Please help me out here. I was all set to go out and buy the Sony 40XBR800 but have learned that it has been discontinued and the replacement direct view XBR are 16:9's and are only 34"ers, yuk! I need between 40 and 46 inches and can handle all my needs, thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
John, the XBR910 is the current incarnation of the XBR800. If you can find a sealed, factory-fresh XBR800 at an authorized b&m or online dealer for a good price, go for it. It's simply last year's incarnation of the KV-40.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Jack, are you saying that the XBR910 is another iteration of the KV-40? So basically the 40"er didn't go away? On Sony's website the XBR910 is only a 30 and a 34 incher. Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The 40-inch set is still with us, John. And while the set has some issues to consider (and for me, the primary one would be its enormous weight and bulk), it is very, very highly rated (The Perfect Vision magazine considers it one of the best displays available).

Sony changes its model lineup every year the way most mass-market OEMs do (pretty much like the automotive manufacturers). Some models stay in the lineup with only certain types of changes and enhancements, but are still the same model for all intents and purposes.

The 2003 XBR910 benefits from improvements made to Sony's proprietary version of the common shadow mask, which it calls an "aperture grill," which Sony claims increases light output and sharpness.

But last year's XBR800 is an excellent performer, and it would serve your needs for many years to come. Some of my colleagues here would prefer an RPTV by the time one reaches screen sizes of 40 inches and above. And I see their reasoning; I would go that route for myself. Yet I can entirely understand why someone would be captivated and enraptured by the light output, contrast ratio, and palpable dimensionality of the big direct-view Sony.

Your money, your call.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

That's great news! Could you send me a link or something where I can check out the new KV-40XBR910? Or maybe a link with at least some info on it. Like I mentioned before, Sony's site only shows the 910 in the 30 and 34 inch variety. Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Manufacturers are notorious for being slow to update their Websites, and Sony is no exception. Simply go to any authorized online Sony dealer for information about the KV-40XBR910. It's very much available, and often advertised in the Sunday newspaper inserts from the big chain stores. MSRP is around $2,999, but it can be had for significantly less.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Buddy I am having zero luck finding anything about a new KV-40XBR910. I have posted in other groups and have read threads where people are talking about the 910 series, and everyone is referencing the 34" set and that it replaced the 40 from last year. Are you sure there is a 40" 910 out there? I even did a GOOGLE search for that model number and came back with zero results. I mean we're talking Google here!! I will be a happy man if there is a 40" version of the 910 out there, but I just don't see it. Send a link or something if you can. Thanks!

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony,

The latest Crutchfield mag (Summer 2003) has the older KV-40XBR800 on the cover, not a 910.

Has anyone seen a 40" 910 series XBR?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks