What's new

Best receiver for under $300 (1 Viewer)

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Kenwood VR-405 powering 4 Acoustic Research 206HO bookshelf speakers and a matching Acoustic Research center channel. I also have a JBL PB10 sub. I was thinking of purchasing a new receiver, not that my receiver is bad or anything, but I wanted to know if I can get a receiver with better quality sound for under $300. I mainly use my system for watching DVDs but I also listen to music with it once in a while. So far I'm considering the Yamaha HTR-5440, i can get it for around $260 shipped. Will there be a noticable increase in sound quality with this receiver or would I just be wasting money?

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Armen, I don't know of how much of a better receiver this is, but the Technics SA-DA10N has gotten quite a bit of praise. And you can get it for well under $300. If I had to get a receiver for under $300, this would be it!
It's not black, but gold. I actually think it's gorgeous!
Here is a pic:
sada10.jpg

Best of luck though! I'm sure many others will chime in with their opinions. All of which will be very reliable! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

PaulShady

Agent
Armen, if your happy with your Kenwood, you can stay with the Kenwoods. For under $300 shipped, you could get a Kenwood VR-507, and for $289 + 30 shipping, you could get a VR-509. I just ordered mine from Vanns, who price matched etronics. For the price, the VR-509 is hard to beat.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Good Luck,
Paul;)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Save up just a little bit more and you can get the Yamaha RXV620/HTR-5460(same thing). IMO, this model is the best buy in a receiver period! To get comparable features in Denon, Onkyo, HK, or Marantz, you will need to spend about $600-$800. I beleive if you shop around online you can find the RXV620 for around $320-$350. Trust me, it's much better than the 5440 and 5450.

Check it out!

Ashok

Agent
Jeff, what is it that sets the Yamaha apart from the competition? The main thing that I see is the component video switching (Kenwood 509 has this), an on-screen display, and extra soundfields. Other than that, the Denon 1802, Onkyo 595, and Kenwood 509 seem like a fairly even match.

The Yamaha is also the only one out of the three without DPLII.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Yeah, I agree with Paul, go with the Kenwood VR-507 or 509.

Since you mostly watch movies I would make sure and get something with DPL2, and component switching.

Jeffrey, that Technics looks pretty nice, can you post a pic of the back, so we can see what it's capable of? Does it have dts and DPL2?, 5 way binding posts? component and/or s-video switching?

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered a 507 for $240 shipped. It wasn't in stock at the time, but it should be here in the next week.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Sean, I actually have never heard or seen the Technics receiver in action. The only reason I recommended it is because of the positive feedback I've heard about it.
It does have DD and DTS, but it does not have DPLII. This is Technics previous reciever model and came out before DPLII. I'm not for sure if the new models have it either.
I have been looking for a picture of the the receiver's behind, but have not been successful. If I find a pic, I'll sure post it! :)

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Kenwood VR507/509 all the way. DD, DTS, adjustable DPL2 music mode and SRS Circle Surround.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Link Removed
Here's a link to this gorgeous receiver. In the UK, it's sada20 but same as sada10 in north america. I own this myself and got it for $199. It is a very nice unit.

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, looks like most people are leaning towards the Kenwood VR-507/509. I was leaning towards Yamaha myself because of their great reputation with receivers (from what I've heard). Thanks for all the input guys.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Technics SA-DA20. It doesn't have DPL2 or Component Video Switching but, most important, it does have SOUND, really, on a par with higher, $800+ units.

Just keep in mind that the SA-DA10 (MSRP $800) was Technics (failed) attempt to enter mid-level audio, and was released together with the extrardinary DVD-A10N DVD-Audio Player (MSRP $1000+). Eventually prices went down, and what you get now for $200 in the the new version (SA-DA20) is a bargain you cant't really beat.

Ultimately, it is LISTENING that really counts, not the list of features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks