What's new

Best non R1 dvds to get? (including anime) (1 Viewer)

Dabu H

Auditioning
I'm Mod-ing my DVL-91 player right now (sparked by the knowledge that Wings Of Honneamise is better in R2).
And now that i have such POWER, i'm wondering what else is out there that us Reg. 1ers. are missing out on. Now unfortunately, this piece of equipment is the ONLY thing i have besides an old TV with 1 broken speaker. Right now, I don't care about Import titles where the only difference is the addition of a DTS track. I'm more about truly superior video, director's cuts, more extras, or just something that isn't/won't be released in R1.
I would have liked to have gotten Black Cat White Cat (Chat Noir, Chat Blanc) but from what info i deduced off a French site, it seems that the subtitles are only in French, can anyone confirm this?

Wouter Heyse

Agent
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you like television shows, some are available on R2 that are not available on R1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer comes to mind. I also bought the R2 Farscape sets, because they were available earlier, and they look better that the single-disc R1 releases. If you are a fan of films from Hong Kong, many contemporary martial-arts classics are available either only on R2, or in much better versions on R2, from Hong Kong Legends. Iron Monkey and Once Upon A Time In China are amongst the best. If you don't have the Alien Box Set yet, get the R2 one, it comes with the Sharpline Arts doc in the box. The brilliant Crying Freeman (Marc Dacascos, directed by Christophe Gans of Brotherhood of the Wolf fame) is available in various versions from different countries. The Luc Besson produced Taxi is a worthwhile movie.
I could keep going on and on, but it is probably best to just have a look for yourself. Go to some online stores and browse around. I do, and I keep finding new thing every week.
------------------
Wouter Heyse
"I'M INVINCIBLE!!!!"
"You're a loony."

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Wings Of Honneamise is better in R2
But unfortunatly it appears to be a censored version (at least one scen cut)
furious.gif

Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
If you like Friends you might want to pick up the boxes. You can get them for a great price at dvdzone2.com.
Also check out http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/ for reviews of those Hong Kong Legends discs another poster already mentioned. They are great.
Also Bound R2 UK is the best version to get, I guess. You might wanna try play247.com for that and the Hong Kong Legends.
And there are quite a lot of early non-anamorphic R1 titles that have been released anamorphically in R2: Armageddon, Planet of the Apes, Spartacus (Criterion is a lot better though), Die Hard Trilogy (new R1 will be a lot better, though), Clear an present danger, Patriot Games, Highlander, Ransom, Enemy of the State etc.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
If your into live action Japanese kaiju movies definatley go with the Gamera box set! They come with english subtitles. It rocks!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wings Of Honneamise is better in R2
But unfortunatly it appears to be a censored version (at least one scen cut)
Not the Japanese version. Like the US disc it has some deleted scenes, but nothing is cut
That said, the Japanese disc has correct colors, and isn't double interlaced and a total mess like the US one. Unfortunately it lacks proper English subs, and the excellent commentary that Manga produced
Jeff Kleist

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Dabu,
I hope you realize that a codefree player will only really serve you for all regions when you also have PAL display possibilities of some sort (unless you only want to get NTSC discs after all).
Just a quick reminder :).
-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks