What's new

Best dvd player match for th50phd7uy (1 Viewer)

Bill Tebbe

Auditioning
My old Mits rear projection finally bit the dust and I replaced it yesterday with the Panny th50phd7uy.

I am currently running all audio/video through my Pioneer 1014.

I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed with all the info currently out there regarding dvd players (progressive, up-converting, output resolutions) but can't imagin that my old toshiba 2109 can be the best match for this new display.

Current connection from the receiver to the display is through component (hdtv cable box and dvd going into the receiver through component and vcr through rca) but I would not be opposed to going to HDMI and buying that blade for the display if it seems "worth it" even if I had to fish an extra cable through the wall (i.e, cost of blade and HDMI cable = significantly better picture quality).

Question: Can someone please recommend a dvd player that will match nicely with the capabilities of this new plasma?

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is a tough one of sorts, because I am not aware of any DVD players that will upconvert to that rather odd native resolution.

I think I'd opt to send it the highest upconverted res I could via component video. Zenith DVB-318 with the older firmware loaded, and use 1080i.

Bill Tebbe

Auditioning
John,

Thanks for the reply. I think that is the way I am leaning as well, although I understand that the Samsung 850 or 841 can also do 1080i through component after just a few presses of the correct keys on the remote.

The thing I just don't know is whether the upconverter in the dvd player (either the Zenith or the Samsung) can do the job better than the upconverter in the t.v. Given that the Panny is so much newer, I would hope the better technology resides within that piece of equipment.

Any other owners of the 7uy have a favorite DVD player to match with that display?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. As far as I know those players component upconversion will only be available on non-copy-prot DVDs.....

I'd love to know different for sure.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks