Best dvd player for new TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Ok I am in need of some assistance now. I just got my new Mitsubishi 46809, now I need to get a progressive scan dvd player. I am currently using my old Sony dvd sp530d. Its just not cutting it anymore. I haved looked at some dvd players and am not sure which ones will give the best picture quality. And I am not sure at which features to look at for picture quality. Right now I am looking at the Panasonic rp82. It looks like it has everything I need plus has dvd-a which is nice. Can you point me to any other dvd players that will give the best picture quality. I don't need much in the way of features as long as the picture is as good as it gets.

Thanks for your help

Nick L

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Nick,

Do you have a sense of roughly how much you'd like to spend? I ask because, for instance, the Ayre unit probably has one of the finest images but it's more than $5K with progressive. There are some good Kenwood players for over $1K. And still a bunch of things for $500 or less that might fit your needs (such as the RP-82 or RP-91, or the older RP-56).

Do you have any other specifics you'd like other than progressive? Good audio out (in analog)? multi-disc capability? Certain zoom features?

3. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I am looking to keep it under the $500 mark. And there are really no other features I am looking for besides good progressive picture. I may use it for a while to play audio cd's and would like the ability to play dvd-audio, but thats not overly important. I don't really know what zoom features are gonna do for me and don't want a mutlidisc player. Right now I have my eye on the RP82, since its cheap and looks like it will be a good player.
    Let me know if I am missing one that looks like a winner.

Nick L