What's new

Best DVD changer with all formats and hirez audio (1 Viewer)

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Topic says it all. Cap Prices around 500, any ideas? Also, I figured on the Faroudja de-interlacer, but if there is a better one, plmk! (looking for Progressive Scan of course). Thanks!

Mike

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Come on, surely someone has an idea .... out of curiosity, the XP30 and XP50 from Panny, did they have changer equivs?

Plmk

Mike

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
In my opinion it would be either the Pioneer Elite DVa45, or the Denon DVD-2200. Neither of these are Faroudja (spelling?), but they are equal to or better (IMHO).

Step it up a price point and I would go with the bigger brothers of those two, the DV47Ai, and the 2900. I do not know how well the Marantz and Yamaha offerings compare.

Al. Wise

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are NO universal changers on the market that do hirez yet. There should be some coming out as we speak, or very soon. Keep your ears open.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There is a universal changer coming from Toshiba but their track record thus far is pretty poor this year. Their hd upscaling player was recalled. They've been known to put out a player or 2 with the chroma bug too..

It's listed at $179. I can't imagine the audio quality being that good though...

If you want SACD and can go w/o dvd-audio then Yamaha has a faroudja based changer for $399. I'm not sure how good it is but it looked rather good at the store.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Help me here guys.
I am confused. Aren't SACD and DVD-A considered "Hi-Rez"?

Thanks, Al. Wise

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Then what is John saying when he states that there are no Hi-Rez universal players on the market yet?

Thanks, Al. Wise

Mike Keith

Second Unit
If your talking about a 5-disc changer then there are only about 2 or 3 out there, I know Yamaha has one, I can't remember the others. However, the $500 cap will lead you nowhere, I think you asking for a little much. I went through this same dilemma a few months ago and all the universal players have more then a few problems with one format or the other, although the Yamaha tested the best overall, and it's certainly not under $500.

I decided to go for the next best thing and get a mega changer (400 disc) that will do everything but DVD-A, and I'm glad I did. This unit (Sony DVP-CX777ES) with it's RS232 port can be controlled by a third party software program from you computer that gives you vast benefits over any of the other changers on the market.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yamaha's changer only does SACD or DVD audio whichever one you buy. They will not do both which is what he is asking. There are plenty of single player units that do both but not multi disc.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ok I take back my statement, there is one out now and I've got it at home now to try. I'll update that thread as I play with it. This is my first progressive player.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think Pioneer makes a couple of HTIB's that have an integrated 5 disc uni player. I don't think this is what your looking for or should even be seriously considered (lousy amp section) but technically, it's a uni changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks