What's new

Bela Fleck & Flecktones- Little Worlds (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A staple of my college hipster alterna-music scene, Bela Fleck & Co's jazz-lite, bass thumpin', banjo-plucking tunes are endless fun.

Their latest effort is a triple (yes, triple) CD called Little Worlds. The liners mention a one-CD version, but I haven't seen it around.

Featuring an impressive array of guist musicians from Bobby McFerrin to the Chieftains, this set is a sprawling landscape of what the band and their friends are capable of.

Most of it is really cool, though a couple of tunes are skippable, as is to be expected on such a large album. Zillions of instruments are used all over the place, and it's a bit much in a couple of instances. But the whole thing keeps you engaged.

Most importantly and despite all this, most of the tunes feel like the good ol' Flectone music we know and love.

The sound itself is quite excellent.

gregD

Second Unit
I think LW is their best effort yet... forget the one-CD version, this album is loaded.

BF&TF are the best thing to happen to music in a long time... sophisticated and twisty (shifting time signatures that would make King Crimson cringe)... and yet a very friendly and compelling music that can draw fans from a wide spectrum... each member of the quartet is a supremely accomplished artist.

Make it your business to see 'em live... astounding in concert!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I saw them perform at my college (Binghamton University), standing room only, right after they got their sax player (it was like his 2nd show with the group or something). It was the perfect environment- like a rock show, but musical. ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have three of their CD's and never tire of listening to them. Amazing musicianship and taste. Don't anyone confuse them with bluegrass because of the banjo. I consider them UNIQUE, but if I had to categorize them, I'd put them more in the jazz genre than anything else. Really, though, they are Bela Fleck music, which is a pretty amazing type of music in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks