What's new
World Wide Stereo

Bedroom TV: LCD or Plasma (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently in the process of looking for a 42" TV for my bedroom. At this point I can't decide if I should look at either Plasma or LCD. The reason I have narrowed my search between these two is that I want to mount the TV on the wall at the foot of my bed to save space.

The concern I have is that I have heard conflicting information pertaining to "burn out" or loss of picture clarity after many hours of use. The problem is being an insomniac, I end up watch 2 to 3 hours of television before I can fall asleep at some point. I do however always set the timer. Should this be a concern, or help me narrow my choice to one or the other?

If anyone can recommend a model as well that would be very helpful. Since this set is not for Home Theater viewing, I don't need a top of the line model, but would like one of very good quality. How are the Dell's? They seem reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Is there a 42 inch LCD?

Ok, there is no 42 inch LCD. They go 32,37,45.

32 inch LCD $2,900.
37 inch LCD $4,300.
45 inch LCD $6,500.

Never heard of burn out, but there is burn in that leaves a permanent image on the screen. LCD cannot suffer from burn in. For most people, burn in is not a problem unless you leave somthing with a static type image, like a news banner running along the bottom of the screen on for many hours at a time.

Unless you have the big bucks for an LCD, get a plasma. Your situation is a bit different than a lot of people. If the TV is only a beds length away from your eyes, you might need an HD plasma to avoid seeing pixels. A 42 inch HD plasma can range from under $2,000 for a no name to $3,000 and up for a name brand. Best Buy has a Toshiba 42 inch HD plasma for $3,000.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I had the same choice to make last year for my bedroom. I watch alot of cable news on this set, usually fall asleep with it on but I'm learning to set the sleep timer :) Since this TV is on for more hours/day then any other that I own I decided LCD was the best compromise for me. Longevity seems to be about the same on LCD and Plasma these days, so my main concern was burn-in from the news tickers...so I went LCD. I got the 37" Sharp for $3150 and I'm really enjoying it. I still prefer the picture from a direct view CRT over ANY of the newer technologies and planned to use my 40" CRT in this room but it wouldn't fit (too deep at 26")...even the 30 and 34" widescreen CRTs were too deep at 22-23"...so LCD it is. I do plan to eventually give the 37" to my sister and get the 45"...just watching prices for the right time.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Dean and Arthur, Thanks for the responses. $3,000 is about my max and hope to get a 42" in that range, any higher is hard to justify for a bedroom TV. I need the 42" becuase it will be about 15 to 18' from my head postion to the wall where the TV will be located. A smaller screen might be hard to watch at that distance.
I am also a huge fan of the Toshiba's. All of my current TV's are Toshiba's and have been very reliable.

I will definately check out the suggestions- Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks