What's new

Beavis and Butt-head Volume 2 for June 6. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
According to TVshowsonDVD.com The 2nd Volume of Beavis and Butt-head: The Mike Judge Collection is apparently coming on June 9 (after almost 5 months of no info) http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5227

I Wonder if MTV might put some more Music Videos on the DVD. But In Any Case, If you couldn't get enough of Mike Sludge supressing the early Beavis and Butthead cartoons and pointlessly removing random footage out of the cartoons for no reason then this'll probably be your must-have set of the year

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Actually it's coming out on June 6. Since I plan on buying this, I guess I can't get enough of "Mike Sludge supressing the early Beavis and Butthead cartoons and pointlessly removing random footage out of the cartoons for no reason." :rolleyes

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
actually, I agree with Kevin. Mike Judge ripped on the really early episodes like they have no need to exist. Yes, the animation was crude, but for crying out loud, ever looked at a season 1 episode of The Simpsons or South Park compared to the present-episodes? Mike attacking the early episodes because the animation looked so bad would be like Matt and Trey attacking "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe" because of how cheap it looks compared to present-day South Park.

And I roll my eyes at Mike Judge for removing episode footage from 90% of the cartoons myself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why Mike Judge felt the need to change his cartoons but they're his to change. My problem was more with the attitude of the original poster that implied that people who buy this set are stupid for getting it because the creator (not censorship or carelessness) changed it.

If someone doesn't want to buy it because they're changed, that's fine. And just because I don't mind that the creator/star/writer/director/executive producer of the show changed them, I'm not some type of ignorant savage.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
It's sad that all of the episodes won't see the light of day on DVD, and the ones that will are going to continue being incomplete.

It's always seemed to me that after B & B finished, Judge hated his creation and didn't want most of it to be seen again. But he sure didn't have a problem cashing all those big checks that the fans helped him earn.

I've read articles comparing Judge to George Lucas, because of the edits and such to the B & B collection. Does this mean that we can expect the B & B Special Edition on next-gen home video, with all new CGI characters and Super Duper Dolby 20.1 sound? :lol:

If anyone wants to buy these sets, I don't blame you. You want a taste of a favorite show of yours on DVD.

Personally, I won't be buying these sets because they are missing the soul of the show... the music videos.

I wish that Judge was like the members of The State. They won't release their DVD set until they get the rights to all of the music they used in the program. When The State's fans finally get their show on DVD, they'll get an excellent product.

To any people involved in TV production and those who will be in the future... sign contracts that negotiate the music rights for broadcast AND HOME VIDEO RELEASES! Music can mean so much to a program.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

okay, by your logic, did you object to syndicated cuts for The Cosby Show and Roseanne season 1 because that's what CARSEY-WERNER wanted? Cut Beavis And Butt-Head episodes to me are no different than getting a season of syndicated Cosby Show episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Using syndicated edits of episodes and the creator changing the cartoons are not even remotely close to the same thing. Beavis & Butt-Head isn't edited to add more commercials, it was edited at the request of the creator to make it better (in his mind). B&B is re-edited and Cosby or Rosanne is just plain edited.

The closest comparison you can make is George Lucas changing Star Wars. You may not like it but at least the creator altered it for whatever artistic whim he wanted to follow. Unlike syndicated prints, it wasn't laziness or carelessness that led to the episodes being changed on DVD.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

Actually they are; in both cases, the episodes you are getting Are Not the original.

And you can't compare the issue with the Beavis and Butthead DVD's to Star Wars, either; In the case of Star Wars, Lucas made it perfectly clear that only the new , modified Director's Cuts of the movies would be released on DVD, both before the SW Trilogy set was released and after; In the Case of Beavis and Butt-head, Niether MJ or MTV made any bones about the Episodes having footage removed from them, and nothing had been said or revealed until a week before the DVD's release, essentially creating a repeat of the Ren and Stimpy scenario (and unlike the Ren and Stimpy scenario, Mike Judge has said nothing about the Editing thus far, which makes the whole thing all the more aggrivating).

Anf Furthermore; Whetyher or not The Creator had a hand in editing the Episodes is irrelevant. For Example, If Joe Barbera was revealed to have made the cuts to Warner Bros' Tom and Jerry DVD's, would that make any difference to the fact that the cartoons have been butchered?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So you're saying that the man who made the cartoons does not have the right to make changes to the art that he made once it's been seen by the public? Once it's out, he loses the right to make any changes to that art unless he gives everyone notice that it's going to be changed? For hundreds of years, painters, sculptors and filmmakers have changed their art whenever they wanted to. They didn't have to check with anyone back then and fortunately they don't have to now either.

The difference between Ren And Stimpy and Beavis And Butt-Head is that R&S used edited/censored versions. Once again, B&B have been re-edited the episodes by the person who made them.

I can understand that people want the original versions but I feel that the aritist is the person who has the final say in what version of his creation is available.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

B&B's episodes weren't edited/censored? They made sure to excise all footage of B&B rocking out to a Black Sabbath or AC/DC riff due to cheapness over music clearence issues. The Beavis and Butt-Head I watched would play air-guitar and riff to Iron Man.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Where in this thread did i ever say that Mike Judge doesn't have the right to change his "art"?

DVD's are commercial entertainment products, ones people pay money for. Beavis and Butthead is a very popular, coveted show, one with a troubled network/home video/DVD history. I'm sure most of us could've seen the lack of Music Videos on the set coming when it was announced, since they have been trouble for Beavis and Butt-head ever since the VHS days. Mike Judge even told us he didn't want 1/3 of the episodes on DVD before the set hit retail (and included the announcement with the DVD), which made theunpredictable, unexplained removal of content within the acutal episodes appear egregious.

The point that i'm getting at is that if Mike Judge desperately Needed to cut the episodes for whatever reason, It would've been a good idea to give some advance insight as to why the edits were made, or at least put a disclaimer on the friggin' box.

Sony let people know ahead of time that "Love and Marriage" would be replaced on the third Married with Children set, Putting Disclaimers on DVDs with replaced music is becoming a more common practice, and of course there's the aforementioned instance of Lucas giving consumers fair warning on the Star Wars DVD sets. In contrast, there's the furor caused by Ren and Stimpy, the Cosby Show, Quantum Leap: Season 2, ALF, Roseanne, Tom and Jerry, and B&B vol 1.

Did the rights issues really affect B&B's air guitaring (i tohught only the Music Videos were affected)

I have heard that the air guitaring was removed from a couple of the Director's Cut episodes (but i haven't heard anything abotu the Non-DC episodes)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Ignoring TravisR for a moment,

After doing an investigation on the DVD Talk forums (where the edits were first reported), i have found that 20 of the of the 40 episodes on the DVD (They are all Director's Cuts, by the way) have been edited. Out of those 20, only 4 (Late Night with Butthead, The Crush, Right On, and Pool Toys) have had air guitaring removed from them. Right on airs occasionally on MTV 2, Pool Toys and Late Night with Butthead can be found on the Time-Life DVD's in their entirety, and The Crush can be ocund on the recalled History of B&b DVD, presumably also in it's entirety)

John*D

Second Unit

He was on Stern a few years ago and said he didn't own the rights to the show and wasn't getting paid much of anything. That's at least, what I remember him saying.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
If anyone wants to know, Heres a complete(?) list of Director's Cuts episodes missing footage

Late Night With Butthead
1-900-BEAVIS
Figure Drawing
Held Back
Tainted Meat
Safe House
Right On
Pool Toys
No Luaghing
The Crush
Blackout
Lawn and Garden
Choke
Butt Is It Art?
Madame Blavatsky
Rabies Scare
Home Improvement
Plate Frisbee
Dait Bait
Manners Suck

Someone on another forum has said that the edits help improve the timing of the episodes, which would probably explain the random nature of them.

Mike Judge also said in this Houston Chronicle article from last November: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2005_4003559

Would He have considered things such as Redundant Animation, endings, air-guitaring, lines of dialogue (which were left intact on Broadcast/Home Videos until the director's cuts) animation mistakes? We'll never know

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
An associate of mine from DVDTalk forums has supposedly obtained a solicitation for Beavis and Butthead, Volume 2, and is boasts 17-new-to-DVD cartoons, Part Two of the Taint of Greatness featurette, Sepacials Appearances, promos montages, previously un-aired segments and other stuff that's yet to be talked aobut.

I'm not sure if the associate was just speculating or where he got the solicitation, or if anyone else got anything similar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks