What's new

Bang for the buck Big Screen needed... (1 Viewer)

DonM

Agent
Can anyone recommend a good projection tv some where in the 50" or less range. I watch a lot of movies and this would be the main use as well as broadcast television. There are so many tv's on the market today it's a bit overwhelming when you go in to look. Thanks for any suggestions! What features should I look for. Which are "Fluff" and which are "got to haves"? I currently own a Toshiba 32" direct view Cinema Series and love it but want something bigger for my HT system.
------------------
The MATRIX is all around us!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
2.5 months ago I landed a Mits 46807 46" 16:9 for $1,995. I know the new Panasonic 47" 16:9 is aournd 17 or 1,800.
Don't think Toshiba makes anything inbetween their 40" and their 55", not sure though.
There is a ton of info on tweaks for the 46807 as well as the Tosh., but the Panny is new and the info is limited on them currently.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Don, widescreem or 4:3? Sony and Toshiba both have 2002 model 43" 4:3 HDTV ready RPTV's with the 16x9 squeeze. You can't go wrong with that. There are also 53" models.
For 16x9 HDTV, there is the 47" Panasonic and the 46" Mitsubishi.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you're going widescreen, your main choices are:
Mitsubishi 46" that Ron-P bought
Panasonic 47" that I bought
Toshiba 50" that is coming out any day now
The Mits streets for around $2K, like the Panasonic, but you can find the Panasonic online for around $1700-$1800 if you look around. I hear the MSRP for the Toshiba will be around $2400.
There is lots of discussion for the Panny and Mits over here and at www.hometheaterspot.com - I would recommend heavily researching those areas before making a decision. All of these sets have strengths and weaknesses, you have to find the ones you can deal with.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba 50H81 is now in stores and is pretty amazing right out the box from everything I've read. Continental Trade has it for $2075 before shipping. I'm personally waiting for the 65H81, but if I was going small I wouldn't hesitate to grab the 50H81!
Pete

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if Continental Trade is an authorized dealer or not, but I would counsel to buy from one for whatever brand you choose. Especially for RPTVs. So many things can go wrong or need adjustment. You want a reputable, authorized dealer so that the TV manufacturer will honor the warranty. I needed my A-board swapped out and the nearest authorized repair center asked for my receipt and checked if they were an authorized dealer. Since I bought from an authorized dealer, the repair center makes house calls for free and all the parts and labor are free.
Just my opinion.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Don't mean to be an ass, but as was mentioned hundreds of times on Hometheaterspot & also this forum, TOSHIBA WILL COVER THE WARRANTY NO MATTER WHERE YOU BUY IT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE RECEIPT!
I feel better now :)
Pete
PS. You don't work for Onecall, do you Carlo :)

Mike A

Agent
The Mits 46" is a great looking set and has plenty of support as far as tweaks and such. Keep in mind though you will need a stand for it, so you can either build one or buy one. The height of the center of the screen without one is way too low for couch viewing. Keep that in mind when comparing prices.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
PS. You don't work for Onecall, do you Carlo
Nope. Nor do I work for the dealer in my sig file, although I advertise freely for them because of their great customer service they've given me for 5+ years.
That's great that Toshiba services their stuff from wherever you buy their sets, but that was definitely not Panasonic's practice, and that's the only thing I'm speaking of experience. I have only owned one toshiba item, my old 2006 player, and that was total crap. When I needed the firmware upgraded I was just under the 1 year warranty. I read horror stories here and elsewhere of people who could not get their firmware updated after 1 year of ownership. It's surprising to me personally that a company that refuses service at 1 year and 1 day would just let you buy their products anywhere, but hey, if that's their business practice so be it.
I don't read the Tosh forum at HTSpot and don't click on their product reviews here so have no knowledge of their policies. But I can assure you that this company that's servicing my Panasonic required the receipt AND checked that my dealer was authorized. That's the only experience I've had and that's why I tried to be helpful with my advice.
------------------

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

DonM

Agent
Thanks all for the great suggestions. I now have somewhere to start my search for the crowning jewel of my HT system. iIhave $8000 invested in sound so this will top it all off.
The Tosh set sounds intrigueing.
------------------
The MATRIX is all around us!

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo,
Guess I jumped the gun on your post, but I'm just getting a little tired of seeing the same "Toshiba authorized dealer" warning on this forum & The Spot. Jason from OneCall just loves to insert this warning into every thread where a lower price deal is found, even though he has known for some time that it is not true. For 4 months now it has been stated over and over again in many threads that Toshiba will honor the warranty as long as there is a bill of sale. After re-reading your post I can see that you were just providing a blanket warning across the board and we home theater addicts appreciate the advice.
I have been following your on-going Panasonic threads & wish you all the luck in getting your RPTV up and running to perfection. I'm sure all your fellow Panny owners appreciate your reviews & advice. Keep the faith!
Pete

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Pete,
re: authorized dealership--I used to order stuff from the web willy nilly. Then I became friends with a local dealer who informed that some companies (not all) do require authorized dealer sales in order to honor the warranty. This was further proved to me when Panasonic asked for the place I bought it and checked their DB before helping me. I'm just trying to make sure everyone else isn't caught unawares that this happens.
And as far as "bang for buck" it really depends on who you know. My dealer is a Panasonic but not a Toshiba dealer. I received my PT-47 for $400 less than I've seen the Toshiba set at its lowest price, because I'm on good terms with my dealer and bring in business for them via word of mouth recommendation. If you include shipping and/or tax on the Tosh, my net savings vary from $500 to $800 depending on where you can find the Tosh.
I've always believed that internet sales were cheapest. Now I wholeheartedly recommend becoming friendly with a good local dealer, and chances are they won't charge MSRP. I get better than internet prices (although when I first started to get to know them I was getting prices between internet and retail) and have a place to return my products easily and with no hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks