What's new

Baltic Birch plywood for sono end plugs? (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
I was wondering of anyone has used Baltic Birch plywood or Maple for the the end caps for a sonotube.
If so, Did you have any issues like the wood slitting where you were cutting?
Also, if I were to laminate to different woods (MDF/Birch) are there any issues with the two woods adhering to each other?

Thanks

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastian,
I am in the process of completing by first sonosub and I laminated 1/4" birch to 1/2" MDF with no problem. Then I used a 3/4" veneer wood band strip to conceal the two. I just finished staining them Mahogany last night and they look great and feel solid.

Tommy

Sebastian

Second Unit
Tommy,
Where did you get the 3/4" veneer wood band strip from and how much?
I take it that you had no issues with the Baltic birch not having a smooth edge after cutting it, no splitting?
Did you use a router or jig saw to cut the BB?

Thanks

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
I got the 3/4" white birch veneer strip from Home Depot. Actually, I clamped all of them together first to prevent this. Imagine a sandwich with (2) 1/4" thick, 24" squares of birch, facing each other, with (2) 1/2" thick 24" squares of mdf on the top and bottom. I figured with the pressure being distributed throughout, the plywood wouldn't have a chance to split and it didn't.
I just used my jig saw to cut them out all at once.
Wallah, 4 identical circles, no splitting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks