Baltic Birch plywood for sono end plugs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I was wondering of anyone has used Baltic Birch plywood or Maple for the the end caps for a sonotube.
    If so, Did you have any issues like the wood slitting where you were cutting?
    Also, if I were to laminate to different woods (MDF/Birch) are there any issues with the two woods adhering to each other?

Thanks

2. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

Sebastian,
    I am in the process of completing by first sonosub and I laminated 1/4" birch to 1/2" MDF with no problem. Then I used a 3/4" veneer wood band strip to conceal the two. I just finished staining them Mahogany last night and they look great and feel solid.

Tommy

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Tommy,
    Where did you get the 3/4" veneer wood band strip from and how much?
    I take it that you had no issues with the Baltic birch not having a smooth edge after cutting it, no splitting?
    Did you use a router or jig saw to cut the BB?

Thanks

4. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

I got the 3/4" white birch veneer strip from Home Depot. Actually, I clamped all of them together first to prevent this. Imagine a sandwich with (2) 1/4" thick, 24" squares of birch, facing each other, with (2) 1/2" thick 24" squares of mdf on the top and bottom. I figured with the pressure being distributed throughout, the plywood wouldn't have a chance to split and it didn't.
    I just used my jig saw to cut them out all at once.
    Wallah, 4 identical circles, no splitting!