What's new

Back to the Future Part IV-Animated? (1 Viewer)

Galen_V

Second Unit
http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15370

Now, while this story should be taken with a grain of salt the size of a DeLorean, Ain't It Cool News is reporting that Spielberg is interested in reviving BTTF as an animated feature (seeing as all of the principles want nothing to do with it). It is also mentioned that the film will be like the TV show, which worries me (I don't think the TV show is that good, to put it lightly). So what do you think if this goes through-will it work or be a trainwreck (no pun intended)?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Trainwreck. Do it right with Fox and Lloyd and a good story or don't do it at all!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Good news. According to BTTF.com, Bob Gale knows nothing about it.

Latest “BTTF4” rumor debunked

Another British rumor quickly gets squashed

Thirteen years after the seemingly last installment of the Back to the Future trilogy, unfounded rumors of a third sequel continue to find their way onto the 'net.

First reported this morning by a scooper to Ain't It Cool News, supposedly the British magazine Hot Dog reports the following in their latest issue:

"With the success of the recently released DVD trilogy it’s no surprise to learn that Universal wants another Back to the Future movie. Producer Bob Gale has said no, as has Director Robert Zemeckis and even stars Michael J.Fox and Christopher Lloyd. So is there a saving grace? For Universal, yes, and it may come in the form of Steven Spielberg. Spielberg has part say whether another film ever sees the light of day, and rumour has it he’s had briefs talks to Universal about it — even suggesting alternatives if the original cast and the original creative team don’t return. One of those options is to do an animated version of the film — based on the cartoons that spawned from the original series — which will keep Universal happy long enough for the original BTTF team to change their numbers."

It's an interesting report, but quite untrue. I've been tracking BTTF4 rumors for over a decade now, and in almost every single instance, these type rumors almost always originate in Great Britain for some reason. Aside from the fact that this is yet another unfounded rumor with no factual basis for its claims, basically everyone associated with the films have stated that there will be no further chapters in the series.

Almost exactly a year ago, Steven Spielberg told SCI FI Wire that aside from the next installments in the Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park series, he does not plan to produce sequels to many of his most popular films. "There'll never be another Back to the Future," he told reporters at the Saturn Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on June 10, 2002. It'd be very out-of-character for Spielberg to do a complete 180° just a year later, which immediately threw up a red flag for me after reading the above quote.

Not satisfied just to simply not believe the bogus report I found myself reading on some of my favorite websites this morning, including Dark Horizons and Cinema Confidential who also received the report from the same scooper, I quickly fired off an email to Bob Gale for an official statement.

"This is the first I've heard about it," the famed writer/producer simply stated.

Given the fact that I'm unable to verify that the magazine even printed the article at this point (the publication's website — www.HotDogMagazine.com — has been offline all day) as the scooper reports, I think it's safe to assume that this one will quickly fizzle out since there's no hint of proof verifying the article's claims.

— Stephen Clark

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Michael J. Fox is not in the greatest of shape. I seriously doubt he'd be able to do another feature film. In any event, there were 3 and that's enough for me. Hollywood needs a good dose of originality, not a sequel mentality.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
"There'll never be another Back to the Future,"
This kinda saddens me. With the right script and story, I'd love to see MJF and CL together again. I know about MJF's Parkinson's, but he could probably do it, given enough time to work it in while he's having good days. I think Katherine Hepburn had it years before she stopped making films.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I think that animated would be the only way to go for a BTTF sequel. The reason is, I feel that the current trilogy was a perfect arc, with a nicely wrapped finale at the end. If the film is animated, it will soften the impact of being part of the "series", so it won't interrupt that perfect arc. And also, if it was live action, people would expect more of the same (lots of interaction between Marty and Doc), and with Fox's physical condition, that's not really a possibility. If it's animated, people will expect a whole different kind of story.

Also, if it turns out to suck, an animated film will be easier to disregard.

Dave Wy

Auditioning
If anyone is interested, FOX is currently re-airing the animated series from the early '90s on Saturday Mornings at 8:30AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks