What's new

B&W Nautilus 805's Does anyone own them? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
First of all Im new here. I went out today and listened to these. I am definitly sure these are the speakers I want. But does anyone here own them? What are your opinions on them? What receiver are you using? Do you have any pics of your setup?

Steve_D

Second Unit
Yes, lots of people have them, I'm sure a few will respond. They are kind of a benchmark high end monitor speaker since almost everyone has heard them and/or their cousins, with B&W being available almost everywhere.

Have you visited audioreview? There are 140 reviews there:

http://www.audioreview.com/pscSpeake...5_1594crx.aspx

Another nice thing is they hold their resale value really well, and are gorgeous to look at. However, the stands are too expensive!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Funny you should ask, since I just bought a new front-end for my HT last week. Nautilus 805s for R/L and the matching Nautilus HTM-2 for the center channel. These are excellent speakers that are very detailed. This is excellent for HT, but may be a bit much for music. I use a Rotel RMB-1075 at 120 watts per channel to power the 805s without a problem.

The speakers I replaced were B&W CDM1SEs, which just goes to show you that once you're on the B&W wagon, you're hooked forever.

Check my photos at http://home.earthlink.net/~thecursis/index.html

Arron H

Second Unit
Mark, your system is almost identical to mine. I am using:

805s front
HTM2 center
601s2 surrounds
Rotel 1066 brain
Rotel 1075 brawn
Toshiba SD5700 DVD
Adire Rava sub
PVR508 Dish Network
32" Panasonic HDTV monitor

Upgrades pending:

2 channel amp - probably a Rotel 1080
DVD player (not sure what yet)
TV (not sure what yet)
Sub (looking at some the SVS and HSU products coming out)
1 more pair of 601s for 7.1

BTW, Jesse, the 805s are wonderful speakers but are a somewhat demanding monitor. You may end up investing a lot in electronics to make them realize the sound that you hear at the dealer showroom. Look at everything that the dealer is using with the 805s to achieve the sound you are hearing and really make sure that you want to invest that much $$ in your system (make sure to ask him for the complete pricetag of everything in the system). I used a Yamaha RXV1200 receiver with the 805s for awhile and they sounded good but not even close to the sound when combined with the Rotel 1066/1075 combo. Both HT and 2 channel are way better now but I had to invest in the separates to get there.

A less expensive B&W alternative is the 602 monitor - probably the best bang for the buck speaker in the B&W line that sounds very good using just a receiver for amplification.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I work at soundtrack and I think Im gonna go through dealer accomadation on a Sunfire Ultimate Reciever. I hope that should cover it.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Mark C. where did you get your stands for your 805's?
I am using 805's all around with the HTM2 center. I am buying an HTM1 center later this week and I will eventually move to 804's or 3's for the front and use my 805's for sides.

Kevin Biller

Agent
I am currently waiting on my 805's to arrive. Apparently they are on back order. My dealer tells me the next boat shipment will not arrive in Boston til July 14th, and then they are shipped out to various dealerships from there.

I am replacing a pair of 602(s2) speakers which I have enjoyed very much. They will become my rear surround speakers. I already have the HTM-2 as a center.

I am using an Onkyo Intergra 7.1 receiver as a processor for HT but am using the power of a Classe CAP-150 intergrated for the fronts. I also use the Classe + an Arcam 72T CDP for 2 channel. My 602's have never sounded better since I went with this combo. There are definitely sound gains to be made even with less than high end speakers. I can't wait to hear the improvement once the 805's arrive.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Brian:

The stands are B&W. I don't know the model number but, as usual, they are ridiculously priced because they are B&W. I bought mine at a dealer showroom sale, about one-third off the list. I suggest you go with something cheaper. I use Sanus stands for my rear 601S2s. The Sanus would also work with the 805s, just not as eye-catching.

Herman S

Agent
Since we are all fans of the 805, I had the opportunity to listen to the signature 805 a couple of times. Talk about an awesome speaker!

I use them with 803's and a HTM1 center channel.
I power them with McCormack amps and use a LEX MC-12.
I have never listened to them as mains though.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Jesse,

I have spent some time listening to the B&W 805 and while it is a fine speaker there are some better bang for the buck speakers out there. I would check out the Onix Reference 1 speakers. You can find them here www.av123.com
They have been compared to the 805's as well as the Sig 805's and have faired very well against both of the B&W speakers.

Good luck with your decision!

Steve_D

Second Unit
Wow! 10 whole posts before someone chimed in with an alternate...I was waiting for someone else first ;)

Since you are in Colorado, and AV123 (Onix) is based in Colorado, chances are Mark (the owner) would let you audition them.

Some other non-traditional choices that others have chosen over 805's include Tyler Acoustics, Green Mountain Audio and ACI.

Arron H

Second Unit
Jesse, I would strongly suggest that you consider separates if you have the $$ to purchase a $4200 receiver. If you go with a receiver, you will need to replace the whole unit down the road. If you go with separates, you will only need to replace the processing - the separate amp should go for years.

Arron H

Second Unit
Also, Jesse, as Steve and Bob noted, there are other speaker options. Don't rush into a purchase - take your time.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Oh trust me Im taking my time. Well I want to do this right... the first time. My wife also agree's and I know that price IS an object so I cant get too outragous. But do you guys think if I went with a 7.1 setup...

Denon AVR4802

6 Infinity Kappa 200 Bookshelfs
1 Infinity Kapp Center Channel
1 Infinity Intermezzo Sub

Do you think I would be happy? Or should I just go all out get a sunfire seperates system and the 805's? and just do 2 channel for now?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
BTW that infinity system wouldnt happen all at once. But It would be more feesable to do a good 7.1 setup than the B&W'S would be. Also I would just start with 2 channel but I could afford a sub... the B&W'S I would be just getting the amps, Receiver and 2 speakers with stands.

Steve_D

Second Unit
Now you've done it....

How about an Outlaw 950/7100 combo for $1598. Or if you want some more power, the 770 amp for $1K more. Or any other $2000 amp you like, but the Outlaw Pre/Pro is a steal!

An SVS sub.

And the speakers of your choice! You've just saved money in the Proc/Power department, gotten a better sub for the $$, and can choose which speakers you like best!

BTW, if you like the 805's for 2-channel listening...consider using speakers from the CDM, CM, or even DM series for the remaining speakers. Using the same tweeters and often mid-ranges, they should do more than fine for surround duty (and each are very nice speakers even for mains!). How about the 805's, the CDM center, and DM's for the other 4?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks