What's new

B&K Reference 20 vs. Parasound AVC-1800 (1 Viewer)

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, maybe my last thread title wasn't descript enough.

I'm caught between buying a B&K Reference 20 preamp or a Parasound AVC-1800.

The Parasound is cheaper and has 6 channel inputs. The B&K supposedly is the superior unit as far as sound quality goes.

Will I really miss multi-channel SACD or DVD-A? I mean, I sort of like just listening to music in 2 channels. I think it's the way it's supposed to be played. But there are a few DVD-A/SACD releases that I'd like to get, including the Dark Side of the Moon SACD. Is there any way to listen to these multi-track DVD-A/SACD's in stereo without losing all that other channel info?

Has anyone heard both units and can say how they compare?

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Hey Rob,
Nice to see a local member, you do live in CT right?

In my opinion the multi channel inputs are a huge factor if you love to listen to music. I thought about getting a Ref 20 but decided to go with a Rotel RSX-1055 instead. Its basically a 1066 preamp with the amps. I use it just as a preamp.

So if my choices where the Ref 20 or the Parasound 1800, Id go with the Parasound. This is just my opinion, go with what makes you happy.

earle

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
The inputs are a plus, but I'm not really considering them a buying point at this stage in the game. I think what will help me decide is which is the superior sounding unit.

Parasound +'s
- A little cheaper
- 24-bit D/A's

B&K Reference 20
- Looks classier
- Better sounding?
- Pure analog pass-thru for sources?

*sigh* :)

David Poole

Auditioning
Quick question, does anyone know if the six-channel input on the Parasound is an analog pass-through?

I have an 1800, and I know that the bass management is turned off for this input. However the channel level trims are working, so I'm a bit confused if its a pass-through or not.:confused:

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I took my chances with the B&K. We'll see how it is.

When I have the money, I'd really like to pick up a Rotel 1066. Until then, hopefully this will be a nice piece.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks