What's new

B&K 307 Review- Does this sound familiar? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The Parasound AVC-2500 does it too.

However, I understand Pioneer's system is leaps and bounds beyond anything done before.

Gifford L

Agent
Auto set-up of levels and delay like the HK and parasound are not what is going on here. He is talking about DSP room correction for nasty room modes. Auto set up would be nice but I wonder how accurate it can be in a sub 3K product. I mean to say that a descent Mic is expensive and so are RTA's. So I wonder how accurate you can be here with what has got to be a $10 mic. What I would like is both options.

B&K introduced room correction in a receiver and I have heard that their new Gucci series may be taking this much further. Hopefully a lot of companies will take this much further.

My concern would be that you would just be creating a sweet spot in the room, and then perhaps making the rest worse than when you started.

I suppose that if you had the ability to move the mic to a bunch of different places and the processor could then average it's adjustments to make the whole room sound good.

~Jay

RichardMA

Second Unit
My Sony TA-E9000ES processor has a microphone input.
Too bad they never saw fit to do any software to
take advantage of it.

Frankly ,I don't like the measuring equipment being inside the rcvr, I just trust certain RTA's ,etc. more than others... and the adjusting I prefer to be done manually rather than automatically ,given that most rooms have several problems, I prefer to "tame" the one(s) I feel will matter most....also I like measuring from several differant locations...........As I recall the experiance with some equipment like this has prooven to be "nightmarish"

RajeeK

Second Unit
There are such products that do this, however, it would be nice to see it in a mass market receiver !
Hmmmm....it is in a mass market receiver. Sad that they write this type of thing with the 49TX/47TX out there right now that do exactly this. Makes me questions their real knowledge of products out in the market presently.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I use the manual method:
a CD test disc
a Radio Shack sound meter
a high quality analog parametric EQ for my mains
a high quality digital EQ for my sub
Takes a bit longer than an automated system, but at least I know exactly what the "modifications" are! :)

RichardMA

Second Unit
Kevin said:

"I use the manual method:

a CD test disc
a Radio Shack sound meter
a high quality analog parametric EQ for my mains
a high quality digital EQ for my sub

Takes a bit longer than an automated system, but at least I know exactly what the "modifications" are!"

So do I and I agree with you, except I use the digital
para eq. in the preamp for the main/centre/surrounds.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I didn't know the 49 had a microphone, that's way cool.

As far as the mass market goes, I don't think any of the flagships are mass market. In a city of 1 million I have 1 maybe 2 places where I can purchase one, and the price alone sets it away from the masses. JMO.

RajeeK

Second Unit
The 49tx lists for $4200.
MSRP is useless to quote. You can easily get a 49TX for $2400. As far as mass market, well I guess that's just a matter of opinion. To me at least, if larger chain store carries the unit, such as Good Guys, Circuit City I think it is mass market.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
And another thing. The 47TX has MCACC and streets for about $600 less, so, about $1,800.

Artie

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Good Guys and Circuit City carry the 49? Mine don't. I would agree that of they did it would be mass market, but as far as I know in most places you must go to a B&M store to check one out. I may be wrong, but that has been my experience.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Good Guys carries Denon and Circuit City Carries Onkyo with their Flagship models on display. I have at least 4-5 stores within 15 minutes of my house that I can get the Pioneer from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks