What's new

Aw, Bigfoot died, boo hoo for the believers (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Man Who Claimed 'Bigfoot' Legend Dies
The man who used 16-inch feet-shaped carvings to create tracks that ignited the "Bigfoot" legend has died. He was 84.
Ray L. Wallace's family admitted his role in the creature myth after his death Nov. 26 from heart failure.
"The reality is, Bigfoot just died," his son, Michael, said.
In August 1958, a bulldozer operator who worked for Wallace's construction company in Humboldt County, Calif., found huge footprints circling and then leading away from his rig.
The Humboldt Times in Eureka, Calif., coined the term "Bigfoot" in a front-page story about the phenomenon.
Family members said Wallace asked a friend to carve the wooden 16-inch-long feet that he and his brother Wilbur wore to create the tracks.
The nation — fascinated by tales of the Himalayan Abominable Snowman — quickly bought into the notion of a homegrown version.
"The fact is there was no Bigfoot in popular consciousness before 1958. America got its own monster, its own Abominable Snowman, thanks to Ray Wallace," Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange magazine, told The Seattle Times.
Wallace cut a record of supposed Bigfoot sounds, printed posters of a Bigfoot sitting with other animals and provided films and photos that purported to show the creature eating elk and frogs, Chorvinsky said.
Chorvinsky believes the family's admission raises serious doubts about key "proof" of Bigfoot's existence: the so-called Patterson film, with its grainy images of an erect apelike creature striding away from the camera operated by rodeo rider Roger Patterson in 1967.
Wallace said he told Patterson where to spot a Bigfoot near Bluff Creek, Calif., Chorvinsky recalled. "Ray told me that the Patterson film was a hoax, and he knew who was in the suit."
Michael Wallace said his father called the Patterson film "a fake" but claimed he'd had nothing to do with it. But he said his mother admitted she had been photographed in a Bigfoot suit, and that his father "had several people he used in his movies."
The disclosure is not fazing others who study such creatures.
Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, says he has casts of 40 to 50 footprints he believes were made by authentic unknown primates.
"To suggest all these are explained by simple carved feet strapped to boots just doesn't wash," Meldrum said, noting 19th century accounts of such a creature.
Chorvinsky says those early reports were mistakes, myths or hoaxes.
===============

Evan Case

Screenwriter
It's real, I saw this documentary that proved it. It was from the 80s and chronicled what happened to the family of that actor John Lithgow before he came to Hollywood (he lived in Washington then).

Evan

Cam S

Screenwriter
I wouldn't be surprised if something like a "bigfoot" does exist, I mean there is VAST amounts of forest and mountains out there, so it's entirely possible. Same goes for the ocean, there is millions of species of life yet to be discovered in it!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked Harry and the Hendersons a lot when I was small, probably saw it around 10 times.

~T

GeorgeTW

Stunt Coordinator
are you sure that wasn't your upper lip? something smells funny about that story, and the fact that his mother would had to have been 7 feet tall to wear that costume.
Man in a suit? If so, it fit him like a glove, and the articulation of the extremities is surely one for the special effects books, send that man to Hollywood.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
But... what about Eddie Murphy's Aunt Bunny?

"Goony Goo Goo" your wife's a Bigfoot, Gus.

(I changed my sig a week too early.)

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
"Sasquatch, we know your legend's real" --Tenacious D.

I bet he's up there with Leonard Nimoy kickin' out the jams.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
The myth of Bigfoot predates even Christopher Columbus. Native Americans have known about this creature far longer than the white man has been on this land. Just because some idiot faked a video doesn't really mean jack.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Native Americans have known about this creature far longer than the white man has been on this land. Just because some idiot faked a video doesn't really mean jack.
Right! And the Irish have known about leprechauns for centuries, and Christians in the Middle Ages reported sexual attacks by demons called incubi and succubae, so we know those must have been real. It is clearly impossible that any society would create folktales about mythical creatures either for their own amusement, to explain strange things seen at night or at a distance, or to embody qualities of the natural world they saw all around them. So we should believe in all of this stuff in the absence of any proof because, gosh darnnit, somebody said it was so.

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Actually, women are still reporting sexual attacks by strange beings. Only these days they're called 'aliens' or 'greys'.

RichardMA

Second Unit
It may make your life more interesting to believe in
things like Big Foot, Lock Ness, UFOs, Rods, Sasquatch,
ghosts, witches, voodoo, etc, etc, but that doesn't mean you dispense with standard scientific methods used to PROVE something. If it does, you'd have felt at home with the peasants of Medieval Europe.

Cam S

Screenwriter
How about the "Ogopogo" that inhabits Lake Okanagan here in Kelowna, British Columbia?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The last line of the article is the most telling.

"A number of Bigfoot authorities, notably cryptozoologist Loren Coleman, vehemently refuse to accept the Chambers connection to the film, and insist that the creature might be real."
------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of whether Bigfoot exists or not, this is not the last line in that article. You make it look like the article ended conclusively in favor of the fraud theory.The first line in the paragraph was

"But the case is far from being closed just yet."

The last line was

"A new study by the North American Science Institute has concluded that Patterson's Bigfoot is genuine, and computer enhancement analysis suggests that the creature's skin and musculature are that of a living animal, not a hairy suit."

The context of the entire paragraph is that the debate over the "authenticity" of Patterson's film is far from over. Taking a sentence from the middle of the paragraph and presenting it as evidence that the creature does not exist is a misuse of context.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that so-called "North American Scientific Institute" a front for legitimizing paranormal and psuedoscientific notions?

At any rate, it gladdens my heart to see so many rational-thinking skeptics onboard!

And here's yet another case of a hoax being owned up to and the credulous "believers" out there still refuse to accept reality.

Superstition is hard to shake for many, alas.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
All that silly childish stuff is for the weak minded.......The Mothman however is real!

GeorgeTW

Stunt Coordinator
"It may make your life more interesting to believe in
things like Big Foot, Lock Ness, UFOs, Rods, Sasquatch,
ghosts, witches, voodoo, etc,"
That's what they said about the Coelacanth, but at least there was a fossil record. Sub-human skeletons of great height have been dug up, but theory holds this culture was wiped out by rival species (natural selection). This is not hype, the bones are in our museums. Who says all of the giants were lost?
I can think of at least one mammal that was discovered to exist, its name escapes me at this moment, but appeared as a cross between wolves and wild cats. The American Indians knew about it, but white man didn't believe them until one was killed by white hunters. If a medium-sized mammal can hide from civilization, why can't larger mammals?
www.dinofish.com

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I think it's kind of interesting on how many separate cultures have basically the 'myth' of bigfoot / Yeti / Snowman.

And here's yet another case of a hoax being owned up to and the credulous "believers" out there still refuse to accept reality.
Is there something wrong to believe we don't know 100% about what lives us on this earth? The gorilla and Panda bear were myths for many years and not "discovered' until the 1800s.
So one person makes a joke; therefore you can discount everything.
Generally this argument is seen in racial/ sexual stereotyping or in political agendas.
I am not saying I believe in the myths, but I believe there are things on this earth we know nothing about

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Isn't that so-called "North American Scientific Institute" a front for legitimizing paranormal and psuedoscientific notions?
------------------------------------------------------------

In my defence I just want to say that I was not putting forward an argument for the existence of "Bigfoot". When I wrote my post, I wasn't sure if the North American Scientific Institute was a legitimate research body or not. The article, itself, did not question the legitimacy of the NASI; therefore, the information presented was taken at face value. My post was relating to a claim that a line, taken out of context, was the "last" line in the article when it clearly was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks