What's new

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (May 5, 2026) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Great choice, IMO.

@Jake Lipson I think Brie Larson is going to be in this film! ;) (That's an "inside" joke...)

Next question is... will he also direct Secret Wars? It's a tough task given how big I expect Secret Wars to be, and how Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars are so close together in terms of release date. The Russo Bros had an advantage for Infinity War and Endgame in that they were a 2-person directing team and had an extra 6 months.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great choice. He’s not directing Secret Wars though. Coming out 6 months later, it’d be a tall task for any director.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good for Cretton for getting this job. Anybody who has been reading my posts for any length of time knows I am a big fan of him. However, this would seem to indicate that Shang-Chi 2 is on the backburner. If he's going onto Kang Dynasty, the Shang-Chi standalone sequel probably won't happen until after all the stuff Marvel announced yesterday. I'm sure that we are going to see Shang-Chi show up around the MCU, including In this movie. Wong basically made him an Avenger at the end of his movie. But one of the downsides of Marvel having so many characters and big crossovers to do is that it does stall the individual franchises for a long time. It feels like Shang-Chi is just starting out, and there is a lot of room for him to continue to grow in the future in terms of his own story. It will be really cool to have him in with the Avengers, but I hope the larger connected MCU story doesn't completely swallow his individual one.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it would be a tight schedule for Cretton if he’s doing Kang Dynasty, Shang Chi 2 and developing Wonder Man for D+.

But looking at the unannounced film dates, it seems like every slot is taken in Phase 5, but there appears to be an empty film slot in Phase 6, in Feb 2025. Shang Chi 2 could theoretically take this slot.

Could Cretton direct it for this date? Possibly, if he sets aside any show-running/directing duties for Wonder Man. If a script is ready, he could start shooting Shang Chi 2 at the beginning of next year, wrapping hopefully by mid year. Then he moves on to Kang Dynasty while post production occurs on Shang Chi 2.

This assumes no knowledge of how quickly Cretton works, or how complex the stories are. If he can work like a Spielberg, who was shooting Schindler’s List while doing post on Jurassic Park… he may be able to get it done.

Probably too optimistic, though!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree that it would be a tight schedule for Cretton if he’s doing Kang Dynasty, Shang Chi 2 and developing Wonder Man for D+.
We know that Cretton is doing Shang-Chi 2. Marvel announced that last year shortly after the first film was released. He is also working on American Born Chinese for Disney+.

But I think this means that Avengers is probably going ahead of Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi 2 will probably be after Secret Wars now.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
We know that Cretton is doing Shang-Chi 2. Marvel announced that last year shortly after the first film was released. He is also working on American Born Chinese for Disney+.

But I think this means that Avengers is probably going ahead of Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi 2 will probably be after Secret Wars now.
Agreed that he will direct Shang Chi 2 (unless he does a Bryan Singer and leaves one franchise - X-Men - for another - Superman/DC). Just trying to lay out a timeline to see if it’s possible he could direct it in time for a release date before Kang Dynasty.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
agree that it would be a tight schedule for Cretton if he’s doing Kang Dynasty, Shang Chi 2 and developing Wonder Man for D+.

But looking at the unannounced film dates, it seems like every slot is taken in Phase 5, but there appears to be an empty film slot in Phase 6, in Feb 2025. Shang Chi 2 could theoretically take this slot.
No way he could direct a movie coming in February’25 and another coming in May ‘25.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Agreed that he will direct Shang Chi 2 (unless he does a Bryan Singer and leaves one franchise - X-Men - for another - Superman/DC).
Cretton isn't leaving for DC. When his return for Shang-Chi 2 was announced, he also signed an overall deal with Marvel Studios and the Onyx Collective, which is based at Disney and Hulu. Giving him a job as large as directing Avengers is just more evidence of how firmly ensconced in the MCU he is right now.

This is clearly a case where Avengers is jumping ahead of Shang-Chi 2, which makes sense from a business perspective. Avengers is clearly Marvel's single most valuable franchise. (I know that the MCU itself is kind of one franchise, but you know what I mean.) If Cretton is going to do Avengers and Shang-Chi, of them, of course the one with Avengers in the title takes priority.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Confirmed by who?

And if that's true, it constitutes a pretty big spoiler until Disney officially announces it. Not even the Hollywood trades are reporting that right now.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think it’s pretty much a given that both will appear in future MCU movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think it's more likely for Sony to make more Maguire and/or Garfield Spider-Man movies without Marvel Studios than it is for either of those two Spider-Men to appear in a Disney-released MCU movie.

I'm sure we'll get at least one more Disney-released MCU movie with Holland's Spider-Man, but that's all I'm sure of at this juncture.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm sure we'll get at least one more Disney-released MCU movie with Holland's Spider-Man
I think you are correct. As part of the deal for No Way Home, Disney has one more "loan" of Spider-Man to use in the future. However, Tom Holland has also said that his contract is up after No Way Home. I think he will be back too, but it seems odd to guarantee Disney the use of the character without also contracting the actor to do that appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks