What's new

Pre-Order Atlantic City (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
715ThZpPseL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This Paramount release is really great news - I had given up waiting. I don't think this has been available in high definition previously. I think it's one of Burt Lancaster's greatest roles. Susan Sarandon is fantastic too.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Be aware though that this is NOT a pressed disc, as they say in the other forum, but a BD-R.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Great film and great performances by Burt Lancaster & Susan Sarandon. I hope it will be a nice upgrade to my old 2002 dvd release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have never seen this film and I love Burt Lancaster. This may be a blind purchase.
A really good movie that I bought on iTunes for $6.99 that I still haven't watch so this upcoming release will motivate me to do so. It's been about 20 years since my last viewing of this movie.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There must be some people here who have had consistently bad experiences with MOD's, guessing from anti-MOD feedback. I have not, and I own about a hundred of them. Some of the earliest WAC DVD's had loading issues, but that's ironed out. Hell, if Paramount wants to burn their sought-after catalog titles with kitchen matches or a blow torch, I'm fine with it, as long as they play and look good.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There must be some people here who have had consistently bad experiences with MOD's, guessing from anti-MOD feedback. I have not, and I own about a hundred of them. Some of the earliest WAC DVD's had loading issues, but that's ironed out. Hell, if Paramount wants to burn their sought-after catalog titles with kitchen matches or a blow torch, I'm fine with it, as long as they play and look good.
Yeah, I've had a fair number of pressed discs go bad and no MOD discs go bad. In all fairness, I probably own 300 pressed discs for every MOD I have but I still don't get the terror that MOD seems to inspire in some people.

We're basically at the end for physical media. Studios aren't going to MOD because pressing discs is turning a big profit & keeping their interest financially so if it's MOD or nothing, I'll take MOD every time.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As time has gone on, burning tech for BD-Rs has improved, so don't dismiss this programme out of hand. Do I wish Paramount had gone the Allied Vaughn route instead? Of course, but if properly authored, BD-Rs should be fine.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m not seeing where this BD-R information is coming from. I don’t believe there’s been a press release and the only info we have is from the Amazon pre-order which says nothing about it being BD-R. I’m sure someone will correct me.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I posted one of these, and I don't have an anti-MOD sentiment, as far as DVDs are concerned. But burnt DVDs have been around for decades and have worked out the kinks. The early years of DVD-R were very problematic (90s). In the past two decades they have been mostly problem free. Because they were widely used in home computers, the market drove the industry to clean up the problems.

Burnt Blu-Rays have not gotten to this stage (and may not due to far less market penetration). BD-Rs have compatibility issues with several brands of players. I had the Charmed S3 on BD-R. One of my players (Panasonic) would not play it all, and the other (LG) would freeze up at the layer change and after Pausing for anything over a minute.

As for knowing whether this is a BD-R release, I am going by the picture not having the Blu-Ray Logo, but having BLU-RAY DISC.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Burnt Blu-Rays have not gotten to this stage (and may not due to far less market penetration). BD-Rs have compatibility issues with several brands of players. I had the Charmed S3 on BD-R. One of my players (Panasonic) would not play it all, and the other (LG) would freeze up at the layer change and after Pausing for anything over a minute.

As for knowing whether this is a BD-R release, I am going by the picture not having the Blu-Ray Logo, but having BLU-RAY DISC.

All of my Blu-ray players are from Sony. None has ever had a difficulty playing MOD Blu-ray discs.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I’m not seeing where this BD-R information is coming from. I don’t believe there’s been a press release and the only info we have is from the Amazon pre-order which says nothing about it being BD-R. I’m sure someone will correct me.

As they said in the other forum:
Usually pressed blurays, have the original bluray logo on the side of the cover.
This one says "blu-ray disc", which is an indication of a BD-R.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Both Paramount recent releases of The Odd Couple and The Molly Maguires were BD-R. I have many DVD-R. At the beginning of the releasing of dvd-r's the quality of the burned disc was all over the place. I love classic film so i bought many from all the US companies that put them out. If i am upgrading a disc to Blu Ray i don't want a burned disc. Just my choice. If others don't mind BD-R's more power to them.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I got my copy of Atlantic City this week and watched it right away. It's a shame this excellent film didn't get more than a bare bones treatment, but at least we have it on blu-ray.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I got my copy of Atlantic City this week and watched it right away. It's a shame this excellent film didn't get more than a bare bones treatment, but at least we have it on blu-ray.
What's the transfer like?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I also just read a post that says most of these new Paramounts MOD have been changed from BDR to pressed BD like the WAC program AS LONG as you don't buy at Amazon who is apparently burning their copies (sounds like the old WAC DVD where non AMazons would often have pressed discs). These appear to be for sale at MovieZyng which is the direct front for Allied Vaughn (the MOD company that produces the WAC/Sony/Universal pressed Disc line as well as a lot of other BDr and DVDr titles). MZ shows Atlantic City (and others) with a normal BD logo and not the generic BLU Ray Disc label of the BDR line

Target and BBY list SOLD OUT
Walmart appears to have stock (not 3rd party)
Deep Discount and BN-- backordered/temp OOS
Screen Archives and MovieZyng in stock
Bullmoose has a few copies (17.97) which seems to be the current lowest price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks