What's new

Assassination Bureau, Spy Who Came In From The Cold & The Counterfeit Traitor (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Any reviews on these three films released by Paramount on July 13? Regardless, I'll be picking up all three just wanted to find out if anyone else is glad they are out on dvd.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Glad? Of course! Already ordered Spy. Looking into the other two.

Cees

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Very nice transfer for TSWCIFTC; no extras, but then again, I forgive Paramount when they treat the source this well.

Brent: I'd forgotton the other two were out! Now ordered ($12.98 CAD each from dvdsoon). Thanks very much...

Matt_P

Second Unit
I've reviewed The Counterfeit Traitor for digitallyOBSESSED! Look for my full review this week.

In a word: A superb film, with very good video quality (a bit of grain/flecks here and there, but rather clean with good contrast and color), and a standout 5.1 remix (along with the original restored mono). I was hoping for TSWCIFTC, but was pleasantly surprised by this one (I'll pick up the other later). No extras, but considering the quality of the film and the low price point, no complaints.

PS I was also delighted to see the scenes in TCT shot on location in Stockholm and Copenhagen, where I spent a chunk of my summer studying last year.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I will have reviews posted for all three tomorrow. I had planned on having them up Friday, but it wasn't meant to be.

Assassination Bureau is a bit of a disappointment, transfer-wise (the transfer is hot, losing detail in whites, and doesn't have the best shadow detail) - but it's a good enough film to make this a "buy" regardless.

The Counterfeit Traitor is an excellent spy story, and has a good transfer, save for some persistent dust on the print.

I haven't screened TSWCIFTC yet... will do so tonight.

Details to come tomorrow.

-Scott

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I finally watched all of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and in comparing it to The Assassination Bureau / The Counterfeit Traitor - which I viewed for around 30 min. each I would say the image was the most consistent of the three in that it was very good overall and did not vary as much in its quality as the other two did. This was on a 100" screen - Assassination Bureau was the worst but still acceptable - there were a few scenes that looked almost as though there were muliple layers of the same image that were slightly out of alignment, giving it an defocused sort of look and colors that were subdued - perhaps "softer" would be more accurate. I do not know what causes this to occur but have noticed it on a number of dvds. Still, most of the film was quite good. Traitor was above average - but I liked TSWCIFTC even though the picture did not look quite as sharp or as defined in the dark areas of the film as say The Mancurian Candidate SE. I think part of it is how it was filmed. The film score sounded very good in 5.1 DD and Paramount did a good job mixing it. It came across with the best story/acting with The Counterfeit Traitor right behind it . Regardless they are all well worth the purchase.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I found The Counterfeit Traitor over the weekend. It is a great film. I'm planning to get Spy... and Assassination this weekend. What happened to Danger:Diabolik? I thought it was supposed to be released also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.