What's new

Asian Cinema on DVD (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
During my stay at a youth camp in Taiwan, I was told that My Sassy Girl was a wonderful film. Thus, I just ordered it from YesAsia, and I'll try to remember to post my review here after I've seen it.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I watched Uzumaki the other day, It is very strange, I liked it although the ending wqas a little unsatisfying.
I'm working up a review, to hopefully post later today.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
UZUMAKI left me a little cold, though I'm not familiar with the manga on which it's reportedly based, so perhaps it's more faithful than I know. For the price I paid for it at DDDhouse, it was worth a look; I just didn't find it particularly scary (at least the way the packaging seems to suggest). Perhaps a little too self-consciously bizarro, perhaps? It's been a while since I saw it, so I'm curious to see your thoughts.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Thanks for that link, Jason. SHIKOKU was one of the second of the new wave of Asian horrors I ever saw, right after RING. I've had to make do with the Hong Kong VCD all these years as a DVD was never made for region 3 (a very common tactic with Japanese films in Hong Kong at that time) and the region 2 disc was unsubbed. Looks like this one's going in my wish list until the next 20% off sale!

Excellent movie, by the way; very eerie, much like RING and the others, but those reviews say it better than I can.

Another VCD-only-in-Hong-Kong release was for the wonderful comedy MESSENGERS, a spirited romantic tale about a struggling bicycle messenger service that finds its salvation in a snobby fashion designer forced to work off her community service for them after she hits one of their cyclists with her car. There was a Taiwan version of this movie available on DVD with English subs (the Japanese disc has none), but it's become increasingly difficult to find, so, once again, I'm stuck with the VCD. This movie would make good Hollywood remake material, although I can't imagine they'd recapture the charm of the original. Might be the only way it will get a legit R1 release.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I have a new order on the way from DDDHouse. Pulse, Fly Me To Polaris, and Comrades: Almost A Love Story came in at $20.07 ($26.03 Canadian) shipped. ;)

I'll post my thoughts once they arrive, but it could be a while since my girlfriend is moving here in less than two weeks. I know I'll end up watching Pulse alone.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
How about the original Swordsman? One of the films that revived period dramas in Hong Kong cinema in the early 90's and now remastered with 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS, with all-new commentary from Jacky Cheung and the film's music composer, Jim Wong. Special tribute to Sam Hui, who's currently breaking attendence records with his summer concert series in Hong Kong.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I just finished My Sassy Girl, and I'll say this much: it's definitely the most unpredictable romantic comedy I've ever seen, and perhaps the most unpredictable movie I've ever seen as well. It didn't meet my expectations after reading so many rave reviews, but perhaps it'll improve on further viewings.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Thomas, which version did you get? I have the Director's Cut, which some dislike because it "reveals too much" about her past. I haven't seen the theatrical cut, and I'm not sure I want to see a shorter version.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I got the director's cut. What parts of her past are they talking about? The parts with Gyun-woo?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
She apparently mentions the previous boyfriend a few more times in the Director's Cut. That's the only difference I recall reading, although there must be quite a bit more, since the theatrical cut is 14 minutes shorter.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator

I'll second that one Juan,i have it down as the best movie of the year by about 10 miles.I also think Choi Min-Sik is the most stunning actor i have seen since Robert De Nero in Taxi Driver/Raging Bull :)

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
But which version?

Old Boy (DTS)
Old Boy (3-Disc Ultimate Edition) + OST + handmade copper case
Oly Boy Director's Cut (2-Disc Final Edition)

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator

Does it matter? OLDBOY is so powerful it could be in mono, and I couldn't care less.

The greatest director working right now in any country in the world is Chan-wook Park, bar none.... I also loved JSA and can't wait to get my hands on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. And indeed Min-sik Choi is one incredible actor... Now I gotta see anything he has done... Shiri is now in my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks