What's new

As a Kid, Big Moments in your TV watching.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
For me, it was always the Freeing of the Technodrome...

I ALWAYS loved the Technodrome. I thought it wasa cool a$$ idea for a vehicle, but proably way too tough to animate, so for whaterver reason, it was almost always stationary..

This music signifies just how big a moment it was in my small, sad little childhood to actually see Shredder and Krang succeed, and get the thing moving...I just wish I could get the video to slow, so it hits the right moment with the music :)..

http://www.shreddersdojo.com/technobig.mpg

Anyone else have any, 'this is so cool...' Childhood moments while watching classic TV, or super hero animation? What I wouldn't give to have a 20th anniversary DTV movie of the classic show, where the old series left off. Shredder and Krang return, and invade...Now how cool would that be? :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, Mr. Hooper dying.. woof, that one was tough as a kid.

Another big TV moment happened every year, right before school: each TV network would have a 30 minute program the friday before and introduce the "new" saturday morning cartoons their network would have. They would then stagger them out; ABC would roll out theirs one week, NBC next, then CBS (it would rotate around).

So you always had things like "blockbuster" toons Smurfs as an example (NBC), or semi-hits like ABC's animated "storybooks" or "ShirtTales" etc. But it was always good to see what would happen before they came on the air so kids could "set their schedule" as to what we'd watch on Saturday. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Ahhhh cartoons. I remember cartoons. Now it seems like Saturday mornings are dominated by teen "Saved By The Bell" type shows. Now that I'm all grown up, I just sleep in on Saturdays or turn it to Food network. I miss Bugs Bunny and crew.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I was born in 1950, tv's first decade. We had a 17" Admiral radio/phonograph/television combination in the spare bedroom which was designated as "the den". It was black and white, we didn't get our first color set until 1968. Every couple of years a puff of smoke would come out of the back and it would die. My dad who'd had radar tech training in the Air Force would bring home a big wax paper cylinder or a couple of vacuum tubes from the base and install it in the back of the set and bring it back to life.

We lived in Fairfield California, 45 miles from the towers in SF, got only 3 channels until '59 or so, when KTVU channel 2 went on the air as an SF independent and wowed the area by showing movies made as recently as 1950. At the age of 4 or 5 I had the complete prime time schedule memorized, and knew what each of the 7 control knobs on the front of the tv did and how to adjust them (I was the "remote control" for my folks).

The high points of the week were a half hour show on Saturday night called "Science Fiction Theater" a half hour production in syndication produced by Samuel Z. Arkoff, I Love Lucy on Tuesday nights, The Danny Thomas Show (later renamed Make Room For Daddy), Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden, Perry Mason with Raymond Burr, Private Secretary starring Ann Sothern, and Disneyland--the weekly one hour anthology show that introduced Zorro, Davey Crockett, and many other 50's icons.

There were a number of weekly live drama productions produced and televised from New York. Requiem for a Heavyweight and Days of Wine and Roses were live tv dramas before they were movies.

The one tv moment from my childhood that most sticks in my mind was in 55 or 56, when I saw in the tv guide that the original '33 Frankenstein was going to be broadcast at 10 pm on a weekday night. My ironclad bedtime (in the 50s kids all had to be in bed by a certain time on weeknights or get spanked) was 9 pm. I begged and pleaded to be allowed to stay up and watch Frankenstein and to my delight and surprise my parents relented. Needless to say I nodded off into a deep slumber at 9:15 and missed the movie.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I was 4 yrs old in 1972 and I saw "The Gargoyles" on TV. That movie freaked me out. When the gargoyle crawled out beneath the hotel room bed, it confirmed what I had always felt: that monsters did live under beds.

Peace,

DM

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
A Lights Out episode from season two in 1949. At age 11 it was the first TV show I ever saw. Been hooked ever since.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My most memorable TV event was going to Sears on a Saturday night (I remember this because "The Golden Girls" was on all the display TVs) when I was 8 and picking up our Toshiba 32" TV which we still have.

My generation (people born between 1975 and 1985) is the last to actually have Saturday morning cartoons. I gave up on Saturday mornings when Garfield and Friends went off the air.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
say what ever you want, but the biggest moment in my young tv watching life was seeing Hulk Hogan become a bad guy at the wcw bash at the beach 96. i remeber just watching that and sitting in stunned silence after that happened.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't remember all of the details but it's past my bedtime so I'll get back to you tomorrow. My #1 moment was on Family Ties when Alex P Keaton's girlfriend went away to college and he drove the family's Volvo station wagon first off to return the magazine that she left in the bus station lobby and secondly to tell her that he loved her. The song that was playing in the background 'At This Moment' by somebody and the Beaters is still playing in my subconscience :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
watching salute your shorts, hey dude, and are you afraid of the dark...with my brother. also the real ghostbusters.

speculating about who shot mr. burns.

CJ

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Billy Vera.

And although it wasn't a 'childhood' moment, as I was a teen, it was some very good television.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
As a kid, my big moment was also my most disappointing. Allow me a moment to elaborate.

When I was young my sisters and I had a very strict bed time we had to follow: 8pm weedays and 9pm weekends. No excuses for staying up passed it. That was until my parents were divorced. Weekends were usually spent with dad and while he still enforced pretty much the same rules, bed time was no longer one of them and for the first time, I was now allowed to stay up as late as I wanted and watch tv. My young mind was all a flutter because not only was this going to rock, but dad's house also had something mom's didn't; HBO.

So there I am, finally up past 9pm with a whole new world of tv watching available to me. I think it was around 11:30 while channel surfing that I came across Laverne and Shirley and in my hunger for adult programming, for some reason thought since it was being shown so late at night that it must be aimed at adults and I was going to see some more nudity. I watched without blinking for 30 minutes only to soon discover how wrong I was. I quickly started to wonder why is staying up all night watching TV such a big deal?

Luckily I switched back to HBO and was able to get my fill of boobies on some B or C grade movie that was so popular back in the early 80's.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Yep, it's really sad there is no Saturday Morning Toons now. Maybe the Fox Kids Network, or WB, but most stations show el cheapo news programs that just repeat the same stuff every thirty minutes.

I remember going to a bowling thing every Saturday, and tuned the TV to Garfield and Friends, and tried to watch as much as I could before it was flipped off. This was back when you had to pick and choose what you wanted to keep on your VCR tape, or tape over what you've already got.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

What? No Harmony Remotes? No American Idol? No 'throw it out and buy a new one?' :)

I thought I was the only one who had a TV/Record Player combo growing up in the 70's. We had it as late as the late 80's..

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
When ABC dropped The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, I thought that was the final nail in the coffin for Saturday morning cartoons, thus closing the book on that era.

It's like the stuff on Saturday morning are trying to turn into PBS, or the TGIF stuff from the 80's and 90's.

Kids WB is probably the closest thing to what Saturday mornings used to be, which isn't saying much.

I always remember getting up early in the morning, and watching Snorks and Smurfs, back when NBC actually aired cartoons all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks