What's new

Article on The Struggle for DTV in the US (1 Viewer)

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
COFDM again. I am not anywhere near knowledgable enough about the technicals of 8VSB or COFDM to dispute their relative merits. However, it is water under the bridge at this point. 8VSB has been chosen and ratified, broadcasters have purchased transmitting equipment and consumers are purchasing receiving equipment. Articles such as this have no purpose at this point other than to inflame.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
COFDM is a totally, 100% dead issue as far as the FCC and Congress are concerned...There are still a few cry baby broadcasters who did not win out on the 8vsb cofdm debate..

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Actually, I don't think their are any broadcasters whining about COFDM anymore either. They may lament the decision to stick with 8VSB, but they all seem to be working toward a common good now.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, Bob Miller seems a great deal like Bob Utne from the AVS forums...anyone here remember him?
:)
~~Nathan

The broadcasters want COFDM for better mobile reception.

What does mobile have to do with high definition video?

There's not enough room on UHF for 1080i movies and wireless Internet. Let the wireless boys rot in bandwidth hell; none of them care about quality anyway, so compress away.

If we really believe that art is not being killed off by commerce, that paintings and sculpture and opera and theater are merely being replaced by movies and CDs (a debatable notion), then every high-end video and audio format is a museum, a library, a concert hall, and must be protected as a commitment to our descendants. Once we lose that bandwidth to the usual commercial trash, we have as much chance of getting it back as we do of tearing down billboards and strip malls to rebuild the Roxy Theater. 8vsb is like Italy; it doesn't work very well, but that is what makes it so wonderfully uncommercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks