What's new

Argh...Dish 6000 "generating default subchannels" (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am getting a persistent problem with the Dish 6000 and OTA reception. On channels that supposedly have 70 percent or better reception, I go to the channel in the guide and select it, then get a message "Some of the channel information is invalid or unavailable. Generating default subchannels"...
...then the channel is deleted from the program guide. I have to go into system setup to add it back.
Any ideas?
Thanks - Steve

Paul W

Second Unit
You might write an e-mail to the technical department of the TV Studio.
This has happened for channel 4 and 11 recently for me.
I think it might be a broadcast problem.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
I have a wonderful proof of this theorem but, with the 1536 kb/s bitrate DTS soundtrack, there is no room on the DVD to write it.
-Fermat

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Exactly, channels 4/35 and 11/19 are having this problem. I'll see if I can track down email for KDFW and KTVT.
However, I think that deleting the channels from the program guide is a Dish 6000 glitch.
At least it did not happen during the Superbowl.
Thanks for the info, Paul!
- Steve

Phil C

Auditioning
Let us know what you find out - I am seeing the same thing, it is getting annoying - sometimes it comes up as 4, sometimes as 35. Channel 11 / 19 do the same thing. I was not sure if it was a problem with the stations or with the 6000.
Phil

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
When you go into the local channel setup; DTV, and enter the actual OTA channel number, as soon as there is ample signal strength, a secondary channel number may appear in the lower left of the setup screen. This number is being sent as a digital channel marker by the broadcaster (not all use this option). This digital channel marker will over-ride what you have entered into the alpha field as far as the channel "info banner" goes; but will be as you entered it in the "channel guide".
My HDTV Channel 10, shows as channel "9", the TV station is sending the alternate designator. (channel 9 is the analog channel from the same TV station). I hate it when they do this; its confusing enough!
frown.gif

------------------

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's our local stations. Because, KTVT no longer has a subchannel (11-2 or 19-2). But it's not like we really needed to look at a Doppler Net weather screen any way.
biggrin.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought I still saw 19-2 last night. Maybe I should do a factory reset on the Dish receiver and start over with programming the digital channels.
- Steve

Phil C

Auditioning
Here is what mine does - I go in and add Digital channel 35, it maps it to 4 which is correct. After I save it and then go to watch channel 004, it says the information is wrong and it then procedes to remap it back to channel 35. It used to do this very seldom, now it does it all the time. The same thing happens on channel 19/11.
By the way I kinda like the radar when bad weather is around.
Phil

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Our local CBS Ch 6 (40 digital) started doing the same thing last week, but I noticed that there is now an extra sub channel. They used to have HD & SD but now have a new sub that shows a signal strength of 91 but displays no video or audio. Re-entering the info doesn't help, it defaults back to ch 40 instead of staying on 6 whenever I reinput it and try to access it from the ch 6 program guide display.

Paul W

Second Unit
Well, Channel 11 seems to be broadcasting correct subchannel information now.
Tho, instead of seeing doppler net, I'm looking at somebody's UNIX desktop.
If only the local Fox and UPN channels can get it straight.
Also, Steve - let me know if you get this as well: Channel 8 HD channel is playing dolby pro logic (really soft) while the SD channel running DD 2.0 at full blast.
Strange
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
I have a wonderful proof of this theorem but, with the 1536 kb/s bitrate DTS soundtrack, there is no room on the DVD to write it.
-Fermat

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll check out the volume levels the next time I fire up the television.
- Steve

Damian

Agent
Does the HD reciever for Dish Networks improve the picture all around, or will I only see the difference in the High Definition broadcasts? The reason why I ask this is because my television is a Mitsubishi 16x9 HD that formats the picture to fit full screen. Since it does this there is a resolution loss with regular broadcast shows. (Via satalite)
------------------
-Damian

GuyCrawford

Auditioning
I see several Dallas area users here. I am leaning towards the Dish 6000. It can be had for about $350 online. Is there anything else comparable for the money? I am really looking forward to getting OTA broadcasts.
------------------

Paul W

Second Unit
I don't think you can beat that price (unless you buy the second dish separately, but then what's the point of that?).
All of the extra wiring, tools and effort (along with the $150 OTA module) were not trivial. If I were only interested in OTA, then I probably could have gotten a Set top box for around $600.
If you just want OTA, you might consider this. They are a bit more, but probably easier to install :).
I don't think DirectTV compares favorably.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
-Fermat

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Also, Steve - let me know if you get this as well: Channel 8 HD channel is playing dolby pro logic (really soft) while the SD channel running DD 2.0 at full blast.
I finally got to watch HD and SD with the same program on WFAA. Yes, the SD channel is louder than the HD channel.
- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, channel 11/19 is back with its two channels, but channel 4/35 is still being deleted from the program guide with the dreaded "generating default subchannels" error.
When you select channel 35 manually from the Dish remote, it works, but there is no way to make the mapped channel 4/35 stay in the program guide. So, I've programmed the Pronto with a FOX icon, rather than try to remember the digital channel number. A kludge, but it works.
I've been having real fun with the Pronto...but that's another topic for another area of the forum!
Cheers,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks