What's new

Are these DVDs worth "upgrading"? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ross

Agent
I have a few DVDs that had a second release of some sort that either give it better A/V quality or different features and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy these new versions. It's a bit of hassle for me, because I'll need to try and sell my old versions first (prolly through half.com), and then buy the new versions (thus I'll take quite a money loss on all of them). So if it isn't worth going through this hassle, I'd rather not bother with it. Keep in mind I'm in the process of adding surround sound, so if the audio has been revamped to sound much better than I would definitely be interested in buying it.

The first title is the one I already have, and the second is the one I'm considering buying.

12 Monkeys: Collector's Edition = 12 Monkeys - DTS (I've heard nothing about the DTS version, curious as to how much better it sounds. I've already watched all of the extras on the CE and I doubt I'll watch them again)

Lawrence of Arabia: LE = Lawrence of Arabia - Superbit (Unless the A/V is extremely superior to the LE, I doubt I'll upgrade this title because I want the LE for it's collector's value and I don't keep 2 versions of the same movie in my collection)

Leon: The Professional = Leon - Superbit (I havn't found any reviews on the A/V of the superbit, but I'm sure it's excellent as usual, and since there are next to no extras on the orginal disc I will prolly upgrade this one)

Memento = Memento: LE (the extras for the LE didn't really seem all that appealing to me, I heard the commentary is boring, the menus are confusing, and I could care less about watching the scenes in the right order. so it all comes down to the A/V quality. is it that much better than the orginal release?)

Saving Private Ryan = Saving Private Ryan - DTS (I've heard nothing but good things about the DTS track, although I've heard some extras are taken out, but I can live without it)

T2: UE = T2: EE (I've pretty much watched all of the extras on the UE and doubt I'll watch them again, so how is the A/V on EE?)

X-Men = X-Men 1.5 (I know they added a bunch of extras to the 1.5, but havn't heard anything new about the A/V.)

Well that's all of em. Opinions from the people who have experienced both versions would be very helpful before I start posting some of the DVDs for sale.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
12 Monkeys: Collector's Edition = 12 Monkeys - DTS

I have the CE and no DTS is fine by me, as I'm not so hung up on it. I believe the DTS version omits some extras, but I'm not sure.

Lawrence of Arabia: LE = Lawrence of Arabia - Superbit

I have neither (yes I know, shame on me, but there's just too much stuff to buy yet, and I'm already at 350 titles), but as I recall from discussions on this very forum, the new transfer for the Superbit is vastly improved. I'm sure someone will have more info.

Leon: The Professional = Leon - Superbit

The Superbit omits the isolated score, as I recall.

Memento = Memento: LE

Here's where it's worth to upgrade. I did. While the LE omits some non-essential extra(s), it adds so much more! And DTS to boot.

Saving Private Ryan = Saving Private Ryan - DTS

You already said all I know about this, but I'll reiterate that extras are more important to me than another 5.1 track. But talking about DD vs. DTS is like having a theological discussion between an atheist and a priest.

T2: UE = T2: EE

The video is improved, but omits the DTS track from the UE. I have both and think of it as the REAL Ultimate 4-disc set.

X-Men = X-Men 1.5

Don't know about video, but could they really improve on a transfer that was probably not 2 years old even? But I have the latter, for the extras.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
To start,

Lawrence of Arabia - Superbit is the director's approved version of the film prepared by Robert A. Harris. The limited edition release used a transfer that was not approved by director David Lean and as such has bad color timing, off sync audio cues, and other imperfections. The Superbit release corrects these problems.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - The Extreme Edition presents only the Pioneer Special Edition cut of the film. It has been restored and remastered in high-definition. However, the DTS 5.1 ES Surround soundtrack is not included nor is the optional Dolby Surround soundtrack. You can view the original theatrical cut but only with a DVD-ROM and Windows Media 9. The Ultimate Edition presents the theatrical cut, Pioneer Special Edition cut, and Artisan Special Edition cut all with DTS 5.1 ES Surround, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Surround, or Dolby Surround sound.

X-Men 1.5 has more special features and a new DTS 5.1 Surround soundtrack is included.

12 Monkeys - Collector's Edition has the excellent 90min documentary. The DTS 5.1 Surround version has no extras whatsoever.

Memento - Limited Edition has both DTS 5.1 Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. The original is DD 5.1 Surround and Dolby Surround only.

Leon - The international cut has the proper DD 5.1 Surround soundtrack. The Superbit has an incorrect DTS 5.1 Surround and DD 5.1 Surround soundtrack.

Saving Private Ryan is best heard in DTS 5.1 Surround. The DD 5.1 Surround release has the "Into The Breach" documentary while the DTS release does not. Want the best of both worlds? Get the R3 Korean release from Paramount Home Entertainment. Disc one is 16x9 with DTS 5.1 Surround & DD 5.1 Surroud while disc two has all the special features.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I believe the T2 XE has the theatrical cut.... press remote left about 4 times or so and the option comes up. Don't ask me why they would even bother putting it as an easter egg. The video is much cleaner, brighter, less edge enhancement than the UE. I miss the nice DD trailer as well as the dts track that the UE had but I have not been able to do an a-b of them. For me, a/v comes first, then extras.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I have 3 different versions of Terminator 2 on DVD, so you probably don't want my opinions, but here goes.

12 Monkeys: Collector's Edition = 12 Monkeys - DTS
The extras far outweigh the slight (to my ears hardly discernable) audio difference. Stick with this one.

Lawrence of Arabia: LE = Lawrence of Arabia - Superbit
As noted above, the color timing on the LE is screwed up. It's correct on the Superbit. Upgrade, unless you want to wait for the inevitable Superbit Deluxe.

Leon: The Professional = Leon - Superbit
I haven't gotten the Superbit version, so don't ask me. However, the reason WHY is because I understand the Superbit has the same screwed up audio as the original issue of Leon: The Professional. If that's correct, stick with the one you have, obviously.

Memento = Memento: LE
I think the audio/video quality is comparable. If you are not interested in the extras, stick. The packaging on the LE is an enormous pain in the ass too.

Saving Private Ryan = Saving Private Ryan - DTS (I've heard nothing but good things about the DTS track, although I've heard some extras are taken out, but I can live without it)
This one I think you need both. The extras are excellent, and they're (mostly if not all) missing from the DTS version, which of course still kicks ass. But if you're not an extras kind of guy, and you don't seem to be, then opt for DTS. It's worth it, and I'm not a DTS booster in the slightest. For this disc more than any other I've ever seen, this DTS mix is a big step up.

T2: UE = T2: EE (I've pretty much watched all of the extras on the UE and doubt I'll watch them again, so how is the A/V on EE?)
Ahem. Pass. If you insist on a single answer, stick with the UE. Marginal A/V improvement, and some issues as noted above with the variant cuts.

X-Men = X-Men 1.5 (I know they added a bunch of extras to the 1.5, but havn't heard anything new about the A/V.)

AV on 1.5 is excellent; I haven't A-Bed them but it's better than I remember v.1.0 being. The extras are okay, but not great. If you're happy with the A/V on 1.0, I'd say stick.

So only 2 warrant an upgrade in your circumstances, IMHO: Lawrence and Ryan. Both of these should be very noticeable improvements, too.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
For me, a/v comes first, then extras.
For me it's Video, Extras, Audio. Meaning that if a transfer's improved, it's most likely worth an upgrade to me. If there are more extras, again, most likely I'll upgrade. Audio is iffy. I find very little difference in a DD 5.1 track versus a DTS 5.1 track, so audio is a marginal factor. If the producers throw in a DTS track in a re-release, that won't be a factor for me.

Robert Ross

Agent
Thanks for all the info, keep it all comin! Contrary to how it sounds, I DO like extras, but I rarely ever watch them more than once.

12 Monkeys - I was pretty decided on keeping this one, just wantin to get opinions on the new soundtrack, doesn't sound like it's really worth it.

Lawrence - Wow, didn't realize there was such a difference in the video department. Looks like I may just upgrade this one.

Leon - Could someone explain a little further about the screwed up audio? Is it like this on both versions? And how is the video, any improvment?

Memento - This is another that I was pretty much decided on, will prolly keep it.

Saving Private Ryan - Will definitely upgrade this one.

T2 - Still can't decide with this one. I've heard the new video transfer is excellent, but if it still has an EX soundtrack, then it doesn't bother me too much that the ES is missing.

X-Men - still undecided...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I cannot comment on the audio problem. In fact, I didn't even know there was one. Maybe someone can enlighten us as to what the problem is. Guess I've been listening to too many movies at too high a level because the sound seemed to be okay.

I can comment on the video to some extent. You will have to take it with a grain of salt, because I am using a non-progressive player (Toshiba SD 3109). I watched this movie a when it first came out on DVD. In the earlier version, I noticed a kind of moire pattern in some background shots. Sometimes the walls looked like they "crawling".
It was one of the reasons why I never bought the disc, even though some people at the time said it had "reference" video.

The Superbit looks a lot better. I never noticed any moiring at all. The image looks clean and has pretty good detail; however, this version seems to have a lot of edge enhancement. There seemed to be a lot of haloing on higher contrast edges. I was a little disappointed that the disc had this problem; however, it didn't detract too much from the viewing. Generally, the picture quality is very good.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There is no comparison between the new T2 and the old. The video is much better with the Extreme Edition.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Lawrence of Arabia: The DVDFile review of the Superbit edition ...

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...arabia_sb.html

... offers the most thorough rundown I've found, with screenshots. There are gains to the new transfer (corrected color timing is the most essential), but one or two worries from the old (specifically EE) that seem to persist. There's an extensive thread about this new edition here (310 posts in that so far ... have fun! :) You'll find links to additional screenshot comparisons later in the thread).

Twelve Monkeys: I love the film and the DD edition. I haven't seen (or rather heard) the DTS, but there is a persistent rumor of a Twelve Monkeys: Ultimate Edition coming from Universal somewhere down the road. As with other UEs (The Mummy, Meet Joe Black, etc.), I'd expect this will offer both a DD and a DTS track in the same package. Nothing has been confirmed, and reports of this first surfaced two or three years ago, as I recall, so it's anyone's guess if it'll come to pass.

Memento: LE: I love the extras, but if you buy the disc, be sure to print out one of the on-line guides to accessing everything, and keep it folded inside the case. Then it's a breeze -- otherwise it's a royal pain. I love seeing everything in shooting order, but then I love the processes behind filmmaking, and not just films themselves -- mileage will vary. Christopher Nolan offered the same function (this time not hidden, but instead married to the standard commentary track) on the widescreen release of his remake of Insomnia (I have no idea if it's available on the MAR edition). I also love the packagaing on the LE of Memento. I've read time and again that the transfer was much improved, but I never owned the original release.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The only one that is a "must upgrade" as far as I'm concerned is Terminator 2. Night and day in terms of video quality.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely recommend an upgrade of Lawrence of Arabia to the Superbit edition.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
One of the few upgrades I have done is the Lawrence of Arabia upgrade. I kept the LE as well.

Have also upgraded the following in my collection: Das Boot, 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes (I ditched the old laserlight illegal crap for Criterion) and Spartacus.

Anybody know if Jurassic Park or Jaws are worth the DTS upgrade? (Not looking for the typical DTS is awesome argument - I've got lots of other stuff I need to buy and these two titles don't get watched a lot)

GregBe

Second Unit
I have upgraded both Jaws and Jurassic Park because of DTS and am very pleased that I did. If this doesn't matter to you, then there is no reason to upgrade from what you have.

Greg

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As far as Twelve Monkeys is concerned, I have heard both and this is one of those cases where the difference between DTS & DD is almost undetectable...besides the fact that The Hamster Factor and Gilliam's commentary are outstanding and are IMO as enjoyable as the film itself.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, I always choose the DVD that offers DTS. It is arguable about how much better it may sound, but I've NEVER heard a DVD that sounded worse in DTS. I have heard many in DD that didn't sound as good as the DTS version (be it the mix, or whatever, I don't care). But, I wouldn't "upgrade" just to get the DTS version, unless the video transfer is also better. Oh, I also NEVER watch extras on DVDs, so I would gladly give up extras for a DTS Track.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Slightly off-topic, but how about DD vs. DTS versions of Apollo 13. I'd like to hear Lovell's commentary on the DD version. How are the other extras?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I "upgraded" Apollo 13 DTS to the DD version. The audio difference was negligable, and video seems better on the DD version. The extras are top notch. Go for the DD version.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
If you're a fan of Memento, being able to watch it in reverse chronological order is worth the price of admission with the LE. Crazy menus though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks