What's new

Are any of you bitter that some of us cant afford a mega-good HT? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I didn't even have home theater when I was 20 and in college. Just a used hi-fi VCR and a 19" direct-view TV, with sound run through an entry-level 2-channel stereo system. I'm continually amazed when I read posts here from college students who manage to put together a 6.1 DTS-ES system with FPTV on a student's budget.

I'd rather go for the best HT equipment I could afford rather than worry about details like in-wall wiring. When the lights are off and the movie is on, the wiring is the last thing on my mind.

Another way to get good home theater cheaper: Be on the lookout for used equipment when you're upgrading. You can buy many HT/stereo components for about 1/2 of their list price if you buy them used. Some things (like power amps) are particularly good to buy used, as there have been no technological breakthroughs in amps in quite a while. Other things (like DVD players) should probably be bought new because each generation comes with substantial improvements.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Bitter? :laugh: I haven't been on a date in over a year and you know what that means. ;) Heck yeah, I'm bitter! Oh yeah, the no-HT thing irritates me too. Fortunately, many of the movies I watch don't require a fancy setup. Let's hear it for old movies!

Adil M

Supporting Actor
You sound a little chafed to me?

HT on a college budget is easy. Get a part time job at any place w/ electronics. I'm actually producing a decent 5.1 system for my sister out of her old Bookshelf system. I reduced most of the hiss by cleaning the connections and replacing the wire. Total cost for a very acceptable system - 15 dollars.

E

Eric Kahn

I should not have said anything about new cars as I am making payments on a 2002 VW New beetle

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Nevertheless I think posts such as the above quoted are inappropriately rude, and contain an air of superiority that I find the least enjoyable aspect of posting on this forum.
Relax, that quote wasn't directed at you personally. Cees got the feeling behind my post.

PhilipW

Second Unit
Much easier to save without the car payments. My wife is on her second Xterra in 2 years.:frowning:
but I do have an expensive sex-crazed (emphasis on 'crazed') 25 year old German girlfriend as an alternative form of home entertainment
Steve, I think pictures are in order :D

David Oliver

Second Unit
Yes, I am bitter I don't have a kick-ass HT. I am also bitter that Halle Berry won't return my emails or phone calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks