Are any of you bitter that some of us cant afford a mega-good HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Being only 20 years old, at university, and without the space - i.e. a huge, appropriately shaped room, or the financial support necessary to build a proper home theater - and by that I mean a room only used for watching movies with a projector, screen, decent power sub and HIDDEN cables, I feel very bitter looking at all the kick-ass HT setups on display on this forum. I've got a decent receiver, and a good middle-range speaker system (though no SUB), but I've only got a 25" TV, and I really can't turn the volume way up! I've got plenty of titles, and I'm really thankful for what I've got, because I paid for everything myself, and its a better steup than any of my friends have, and none of it is budget equipment to say the least, but damn, some of the home theaters some of you guys have are positively drool worthy.

I think that hearing an awesome 5.1 track for the first time, can leave you wanting more - bigger and louder. And watching a movie on a decent 16:9 projector is like a dream! Something to look foreward to in the future!

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Yeah, it makes me bitter that some of you can't... [​IMG] ... but it cheers me up to know that one day they all will!
    Cees

3. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

We all start out at entry level.
    Just be sure to be proud of what you
    currently have. I always was.
    In fact I still have my first Ghetto blaster from 16 years ago. I still use it too.[​IMG]
    A healthy diet of Kraft Macaroni will allow you to buy anything you want over time.[​IMG]

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

No, believe it or not there are more things in life than HT.

5. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Stay in university, graduate and get a good job. Then you can get something nicer. I have a pretty nice system but there are many here that a way better. I didn't get it all until I was 40.

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Any time that you start feeling bitter over not having as much as someone else, just remember that there is person that is bitter because you have more than they do.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm not sure how it is in England, but over here there are numerous work/study or coop programs where you can get great job experience (helps your resume more than anything else) as well as a good deal of extra cash. Many of these employers pay their coops almost as much as entry level employees. The great part about all this in college is most of your income is disposable, not tied up in a mortgage, alimony, supporting your children. I built a very respectable system while in school (and married, to boot) with money from my work/study job at IBM.

And remember that once you graduate, you'll have a job where you can put your money into whatever you want.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Paul, I'd glady trade my age and home theatre for your age and no home theater.

Deane

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm in the same boat.. only I'm 23 [​IMG] and in college. Though I have an older 70's apartment with a nice big square living room for my theater (hidden wires? nah they add character to the room) my downstairs neighbor LOVES my DIY sealed shiva, and she's the building manager, luckily we're friends and she'll just call my cell when I get annoying [​IMG]
    anyway back on track, I've managed to put together atleast an OK system, I had the tv before I came to school, but the rest I've either built myself or bought used, actually.. I don't have a single peice of new equipment.. and my AV rack is a flexi rack I built for $35
    so, it CAN be done on a budget, you can get some good deals on used speakers on ebay sometimes.. I paid 50 bucks each for my AR mains.. course they're beat to hell, but they sound great so I'm fine with that.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Hey, you're only 20, you have lots of time to catch up, and if you get your priorities straight, you'll be saving up for a kick ass system rather than blowing all your money on the bars, cigarettes and other fleeting recreational endeavours. If your goal is to have a cool HT, work towards it. Some of us are far more advanced in years and don't ave a really cool HT yet. Save your cash and someday you could....

13. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Doesn't bother me at all. It's good to see other people's systems. Dream big. [​IMG]
    Jon

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Paul, when I was in college a state of the art HT involved a Beta HiFi VCR & those who were really loaded had $1000 to drop on a new invention called a CD player. If you were lucky you might find a store that had a few dozen titles to choose from.
    In a few years you'll be posting about how surprised you are to find that even after college, you still can't afford the gear you want. Then later, something about how the new wife doesn't want all that stuff in the house. [​IMG]

15. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

You have years
    I am 38 and just have a decent HT set up, I won't sho pictures because I have everything stacked ontop of eachother on an old micrwave cart
    If you want HT fast, just avoid the new cars and trendy address's when you get out of collage and you will be able to have killer HT, If I had not had many cars and motorcycles (harleys) with loans over the years, I could have a bigger house with a dedicated HT room with lots of great stuff in it. It is all a matter of choices on what is important to you
    now if you are independantly wealthy, you can ingnore this post[​IMG]

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Long long ago, I adopted a personal philosophy that basically says "Kurt is happy with what he has, and is happy for others that have what they do". I imagine I may have some better equipment than someone else in the universe and I know there are others that have much better. I'm happy for them, as I am happy for myself.
    I agree about the new car syndrome. I have a 7 year old truck with 160,000 miles on it, hoping to pull out at least another 100,000 from it. Every month I smile knowing I don't have a payment to make on it [​IMG]
    ~Kurt

18. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

19. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

It never makes me bitter. In fact I'm glad to see that someone is able to have a nice HT unless of course it's a person that's an enemy and I hate.

I just say to myself, "If I ever come into a large sum of money, I'll build me a $70,000 HT system. While I'm at it a $70000 stereo as well".

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Paul, I'm afraid I don't have an expensive home theater setup either, but I do have an expensive sex-crazed (emphasis on 'crazed') 25 year old German girlfriend as an alternative form of home entertainment, and no I wouldn't swap her for the latest 60inch projector thingy, and as far as I know she is very happy with my aspect ratio.[​IMG]
    Oh yeah I'd love to have a huge HT with seats and giant screen like some of you guys, and when I win the lottery that will be my first priority, trust me.[​IMG]