What's new

Arcam vs Rotel (1 Viewer)

David Odyssey

Auditioning
Am been trying to narrow down choices re a receiver to use for Home Theatre but also with DVD-A and SACD for Classical music. Am looking at the Arcam AVR 200 and the Rotel RSX 1055 or 1065 with Arcam’s DV89 or Rotel’s RDV1060, and I don’t know which SACD player !! Have ruled out Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. as way too “bright”. Like the “warmer” sound but can find noone who sells both and am just getting polarized views ………on both sides. Maybe there's another one in a similar price range.

HELP PLEASE!!!

FrankHW

Agent
You can probably save some bucks on the player by going to something like the Denon 2200 which is both a universal player and a really great performer with both video and audio. The DV89 looks and sounds great, but kind of pushes the price/performance ratio considering other players out there. Another option (for DVD-A only) would be the new Cambridge Audio unit, which looks and sounds far better than its asking price would suggest.

Arcam and Rotel's receivers are both well-built and great sounding. I own the Arcam 100 and LOVE it. However, I found it had problems driving tough loads up front (4 ohm mains, 6 ohm center), and some of the online reviews suggest it's not as powerful as advertised. I ultimately needed to upgrade with a P85/3 power amp. I would be surprised if this was a problem with the Rotel, so if you have tough speakers Rotel may be the better buy.

Another thought would be going the route of separates with either the Rotel 1066 or Adcom pre/pros, and getting cheap used amplification.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I think you're best waiting till summer (If you can hold out!) so that the new generation of universal players gets out mainsteam and you can enjoy the new level of bass mgmt offerred.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I am currently running Rotel 1055 reciever with a 1060 DVD player.I am very happy with this setup.DVD picture is great,regular CD sound very good,and DVD-A sounds GREAT.Never thought I would like any of the MC audio stuff,but was very surprised how good a well mastered DVD-A sounds in MC.I have picked up quite a few DVD-A titles now.Any other questions on the Rotel stuff,dont hesitate to Email me.

Greg

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

I have an Arcam AVR200 driving 5 Dynaudio Audience speakers (72/122C/62) at 4 ohms. In a 14' x 22' x 8.5' room, I have no problem driving it to very loud volumes. And it sounds terrific for both movies and music (I have an Arcam DV88+).

The Arcam AVR300 is due out in a few months ($1995 MSRP), so you might want to consider that as well. I hear it is more of a little brother to the AV8 than a big brother to the AVR200.

AVR300, 7 x 100 WPC (switchable for 4 or 8 ohm speakers), DPL IIx, DTS ES, DD EX, component video switching, software features similar to AV8, discrete codes for pwr and all modes.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks