What's new

Audio Refinement Pre5 vs Pre2 vs Wait!? (1 Viewer)

Richard-Tien

Auditioning
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for quite awhile now and have learned immensely from everyone's post. I think this is one of the most professional and inviting forums I've visited (I normally visit the Audio Asylum forum).

At heart, I'm an audiophile on a budget. An audio admirer if you will. However, situations and relationships have forced me to upgrade to a HT system compatible with my audio tendencies. Here's what I have now:

Yamaha (very old model)
Arcam A85
B&W N805 L/R
B&W NHTM2 C
B&W 601 S3's S
Working on the sub.

Since the Yamaha has no preouts, I have to actually switch wire to go between 2ch and HT.

I was at a loss until I came upon Audio Refinement. Now I have 3 options:

1) Sell my arcam and get:

DVD/SACD player with DTS/AC3 and bass management (to do all the HT processing)
Audio Ref Pre 5
Rotel RMB 1075
Cost: 2100-1000 (approx value of arcam) = 1100

2) Sell my arcam and get

DVD/SACD player
Audio Ref Pre 2 with DTS/AC3 and NO DPL2 or 6.1
Rotel RMB 1075
Cost: 2400-1000 = 1100

3) Keep my arcam, wait until AR comes out with a new Pre/Pro (5Dsp?), and buy a low buck receiver to run the center and rears for the time being, namely an Outlaw 1050.

I'm inclined to go with option 1 since it sounds like it will keep closest to my audio inclinations and I do not feel strongly about excess processing. However, option 2 would be nice also, but I fear that the processing degrades the 2ch sound somewhat.

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

Any help is very much appreciated since so far I haven't had much luck at the other forums. Thanks!

Hi,

If you don't plan to use any other digital sources than the DVD player then the Pre-5 option will probably best meet your needs. You should be aware that the crossover between speakers and subwoofer is often set higher in the players, than in pre-amps/receivers. If I recall correctly the crossover is 100hz or 120 hz in my panasonic rp91 dvd/dvd audio player, and my receiver uses an 80 hz crossover.

The Pre-2 would be a better choice if you plan to use other digital sources such as digital cable, or satellite in addition to the dvd's.

I think that the Pre-2 has an 80 hz crossover between speakers set to "small" and the subwoofer. You should check with your dealer.

Good luck, If you can try to arrange a home audition with your dealer, try both units at home, and keep the one you prefer.

Richard-Tien

Auditioning
Thanks!

Luckily there is a dealer nearby in San Francisco that I will visit shortly. Any recs on good amps to accompany the Audio Refinement? I'm looking for something around $800 in a 5 channel iteration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks