What's new

Anyone using Legacy A1 or Proton AA-2580? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a 5ch amp in the sub-$400 range and while browsing on ebay I came across the Legacy LUM-A1 5ch amp. It says it's the same as a Proton AA-2580.

On further research (google) it seems the AA-2580 is the 5ch amp made to go w/ the AA-2631 DD/DTS pre-amp (which evidently won an award at the 2000 CES). I've also found some very positive reviews on www.audioreview.com but i usually take those with a grain of salt.

Now... has anyone heard of or used either of these brands/amps? I'm assuming it's not the same Legacy known for EXTREME low end car-audio... and i'm also assuming it's not the same Legacy know for EXTREME high end music speakers... but it could be either. Either way, the amp seems to be going for less than $200 on ebay, and I'm wondering if it's a steal or junk.

The only other amp i've been able to find in the price range is the HK PA5800 which i've read some very good reviews on. I'll be using a Pioneer Elite 43TX as a pre-pro. I wouldn't be considering an amp if the 43TX could handle 4ohm loads. I'm hoping to upgrade to Swan Divas soon, but it looks like i'll need an external amp before that happens.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Hi Stephen, the Legacy amp is an extremely decent amp for the price. Let the power ratings not fool you one bit. I still have the amp and the prepro in my bonus room and will not sell both at any cost. That amp can power low efficient speakers with relative ease. Both the Legacy amp and preamp are made by Proton. The prepro is one of the sweetest sounding pres for music I've heard.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Weird I was just looking at those on Ebay too.
I was wondering what happened to those two pieces from Proton.
I just threw away all my old issue of Home Theater Mag., but
I remember reading a review of those two pieces. Although nothing was mentioned about Legacy. They were just Proton.
If I remember correctly they got a great review.
A long time ago I was considering those for my first move into seperates.
I thought that amp was a steal for that price. Heck even to power outdoor speakers or a second zone, it be a steal.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
How would it do at powering some Swan Diva 4.1s and a Swan Diva C2? I would probably bi-amp the 4.1s and use the remaining channel for the C2. My 43TX could power the 2.1 surrounds since they're 8ohm.

Thanks for the responses :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like i was wrong in my initial post. The Legacy name on these products IS the same EXTREME high end Legacy that makes the Legacy Focus, Whisper, and Helix speakers. The Luminance series doesn't, however, show up on their website. I believe it's one model year older than their archive goes back (discontinued 2000).

I believe i'm going to give this amp a shot unless i come across a HK PA 5800 under $300.

Thanks for the input :)

JackS

Supporting Actor
I believe the Legacy amps of the high end speaker fame, are/were made by another high end amp company for Legacy. I'm sure I knew at one time but can't remember now.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The proton based Legacy amps and pres have the exact same logo as the high end legacy brand. I was able to pick one up direct from proton for $210 w/ 1-year warranty. Now i just have to do a little saving to get my swans (thank God they're available in a more affordable finish now).

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Sorry to be so long in replying, there was a delay in getting registered!

I just got the Legacy LUM-A1 a few weeks ago, and it's a great amp. For it's size, it's quite hefty and it uses a large toroidal transformer. After playing several movies back to back (albeit all five channels were set to 'small' on my receiver) it was barely warm at all. Strangely enough, the receiver, now powering zero speakers, was not any cooler than it normally is, which is to say bordering on hot. Anyhow...

I can't say I notice a huge difference in power, nor should I, but things did seem a bit less strained, and clearer. It could be my usual imagination playing tricks, but in any case, this is a great amp to drive low impedance speakers. I don't know about you, but I am pretty ticked off at the HUGE array of receivers out there, even most of the so-called flagship models selling for over $3000, which specifically say do not use less than 6-8 ohm speakers! For $200-250, this little Proton will do the trick and free you to pick whatever receiver you like as a pre-pro.

It's not all roses, however. My LUM-A1 actually had a buzz/hum in the left front channel which was audible from about 10 feet away, and the fan seemed to be on high all the time, which could explain the cool running. The fan was audible from about 20 feet away, or essentially anywhere in my room. I got in touch with Proton, and they were happy to issue a return authorization number for me to send the unit back in exchange for a new one. I expect to receive the replacement early next week. The first shipment was amazingly fast - I received it a mere four days after I submitted my money through Paypal!

Enjoy your amp!

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks