What's new

Anyone suck as bad as I do at NFL 2K3??? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
My record is like 10-24 or so on XBL.
I either can't stop anyone or can't score.
My pass completions are nearly non existant and I generally have 2-3+ interceptions.
My rushing yards are minimal.
My defense is about as strong as the French when Germany rolled in.
I have bought the strategy guide and it had no help in it. I've practiced in practice mode, that helped me from being blown out as badly.
So anyone who can help I'd love to hear from you, if anyone wants to better their record, well my gamertag is blugill

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Yeah I suck at it too.
My record is 0-0-0.
I'm too afraid to play anyone in NFL2K3, NBA2K3 or NHL2K3.
:D

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Only thing I can say is keep with it. The game is hard, has a tremendous learning curve, but that just makes it worth playing in my consideration. Too bad most ppl will never see that (basied on game sales).

What works for me (passing wise) is to start the game concentrating on passing to my halfback and tightend. I do this for two reasons: 1) I can usually see the part of the field they are at (I'm 4:3), and 2) the coverage on them is typically lax compared to your recievers.

You might want to try using the practice mode and find your "money" plays. You should have at least 4 plays that you feel really confident, your go to plays depending on the part of the field you're at and the game situation.

Another thing you might want to try is maximum passing. I play as San Diego and in the proset two of my best plays involve the tightend, Tightend out and Y something or other. I use maximum passing and as you throw the ball, think of it as you're controling the reciever's break on the ball. Example, in both those plays, the tightend breaks to the right, and just before he does I press Y and right on the analog stick. Works very frequently, even when I over use the play.

Also you might want to remember that the inability to run is basied alot on what defense is being played against you. Most people will give up on their run games early, allowing the defense to go into nickle or even dime later on exclusively. If you notice that switch up on them and make them pay. Some games I might only have 60 yards running, but 55 of them might be from one massive run where I catch them in a dime D.

I still get my butt kicked regular, but I went from not being able to score at all, to occasionally getting 40+ points.

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I forgot to mention, insert after my second paragraph.

After I start to pick apart my opponent (this assumes my line can hold up to their blitzing or I'm "on" that night) with the little passes, I find I can wait in the pocket and get the deep ball. Don't forget to go to the camera selection and turn on pass zoom (you have to do this every game). When a reciever is really open he'll even wave his arm at you btw. I think in the game manual it says something to the effect of "pass plays are timed you should let the game drop you back and be ready to pass once you come to a stop", I find that works on the short to mid routes, but if you want to go deep you really need to have the pass protection on and be able to wait a few extra seconds, then there is a good chance that your reciever will be able to beat the coverage.

Oh and this might be very obvious, but don't forget you can pick optiMatch, and pick players that have a simular record to you. I certainly (not yet anyways) don't play against some of these 191-20-2 guys.

Hope this was helpful and not just long winded, look me up for a game sometime.

Blu

Screenwriter
I've never let the game drop me back in the pocket before. I'll do that!
I know all about the 50-90-100-200 pass plays and you have some good advice!
Thanks!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
To work on your offense, really look at your TE for a while.

TE's, in my opinion, tend to make more catches than most other players. Plus, they're covered by LB's that are a bit slower than them, so they can be found open.

The rushing game is a very tricky thing to get used to. You really have to learn to read your blocks and watch where the holes are developing and react quickly.

Don't use the turbo too much either. I've heard that as soon as you press the turbo, you can expect the defense to key on your player even more.

Feel free to look me up online sometime and we can play a game where you can practice some things on me. My record is totally unimportant to me. I'm just looking to have some fun games.

Glen

JayV

Supporting Actor
My defense is about as strong as the French when Germany rolled in.
Oh, yeah? With me in charge, my linebackers more closely resemble the Maginot Line than a D-line. My receivers become vegans and express disgust at touching pigskin. My QB fears change, and strives to execute three downs from the same yard line.

I have a long and storied history with losing online in the NFL2k series.

I got a keyboard for my Dreamcast so my buddies and I could type trash to our opponents and get the play off (in theory) while the opponent is busy typing a reply.

This may sound like a cheap move, but keep in mind we never won a game. We refused to be one of those disconnect jerkies, so we were regularly losing games 100 to 6. I don't know why we kept playing; alcohol may have been a contributing factor.

I'm adding you to my XBL friends list, Blugill. It will be interesting to see if we end up with 6-3 games or 114-108 games.

-j

My XBOX live encounters have been mixed. I lost one game 41-0 and led another 35-0 at halftime (connection dropped in the third quarter). Bottom line is that there's always someone better and there's always someone worse......

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I do I usually get mowed down as well, still enjoy plaing but I'd like to win a bit more.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I've only played one game and would like to play some more. If any of you see me online please invite me to play. I'm not very good either. I lost the only game I played.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Hello my name is Daren and I suck at NFL2k3 ...

I think my recievers spray their gloves with PAM instead of glue before each game. I've gotten to where I'll take control of the reciever before the ball gets to him and hit Y to try to increase the chance that he'll catch it, but I still don't know the trick to holding onto the damned thing. I know there has to be a trick to it because my opponents seem to know how to hold on while I punish them with a diving tackle.

What exactly does Max Passing do?

On the turbo ... do you go faster if you hold down A and let the arrow fill with each cycle, or do you go faster by just tapping it repeatedly? I realize that having the arrow "full" gives the guy more power for jukes/spins/etc, but what about pure speed?

Oh yeah ... and is there any way to set hot routes like in Madden/Fever?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Yes, there is a way to set hot routes, I can't remember how though, I'm pretty sure its in the manual.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Oh yeah ... and is there any way to set hot routes like in Madden/Fever?
Yep. This is from the manual:
Offense, Pre-Snap:
1. Choose a pass play, and wait until QB is under the Center.
2. Nudge the Right Thumbstick in any of 8 directions:
• Up is a Fly Route
• Down is a Screen Route
• Left/Right are In or Out Route*
• Up + Left/Right is either a Post or Corner Route*
• Down + Left/Right is either a Fade or Slant route*
• You can also click the Right Thumbstick to have a player stay back and block
3. Now press the button of the receiver to which you want to assign the chosen route.
4. After selecting a receiver, you should hear the QB bark out an audible.
5. The chosen receiver will now run the modified route (or stay back and block).
* Depends on what side of the field the receiver is on.
Hope that helps!

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
oh man, thanks for the help. Now I've got some homework to do. I thought I had read everything, but it still came down to RTFM :rolleyes:I never noticed the advanced gameplay stuff at the end of the manual.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
No prob. It's squeezed in there in the back of the manual, and it's easy to overlook. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just didn't want to take credit for typing something when all I did was cut-and-paste from the manual. :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
No jerk-ness detected :p) For a second I thought I was missing some pages from the manual (I bought my copy used from Blockbuster before I saw the retail pricedrop in stores).

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
On the turbo ... do you go faster if you hold down A and let the arrow fill with each cycle, or do you go faster by just tapping it repeatedly? I realize that having the arrow "full" gives the guy more power for jukes/spins/etc, but what about pure speed?
I will just say this - I got infinitely better once I just forgot about this button....Its useless - more or less ;)
You get run down all the time by LBs with your WRs cuz they tire quicker....Once you hit this button as a RB every defender keys on you....When running as the RB never use this unless you need to gain that little extra bit of yardage for 1st down, or try and get out of tight spot....never while in the backfield - its a guaranteed loss of yardage....As a WR you dont need it - they wont get caught if they are 95+ Speed unless you use the Turbo they then tire and get caught....forget about the turbo - just use the break tackle button

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
What about "filling the arrow"? Does having a "full arrow" give your spins/straight arms/jukes more effect?

By "break tackle button", do you mean B (spin)? Every time I use the stiff arm, I might get an additional yard or two, but I can't just push the tackler off and continue running.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
breaking tackles just kind of happen. You can increase their likelihood by doing a special move but they will naturally break a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks