Anyone spend their 4th down the Jersey Shore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 4, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Gods, I love it down here...

A few years ago it was a bit better. On the ORtley Beach/Seaside Heights, NJ side of things, you'd see MILES of people shooting off their own private fireworks. As a cop car drove by, they'd stop, as the cop passed, they'd start again.

That seems to have stopped, sadly, but there are still people towards the point pleasant area doing their own shows. I heard an EMS(?) guy who was there to make sure that no one got hurt. He says that they take a three mile stretch of beach, and since they can't arrest EVERYONE shooting of the fireworks, band together and try to make it as safe as possible by clearing crowds.

I was waiting around to see if I'd meet an old highschool friend who lives nearby in one of the apartment buildings. As I was about ready to leave, and thep rivate shows where dying down, had a nice conversation with two ladies, one with a baby in her arms who somehow slept through all the noise, telling them the exact same thing. The other lady without the baby stayed watching 'em for a bit, asking about the Seaside Heights show. Must have missed it for one reason or another. Once the last set of fireworks went off, I decided it was time to leave...

Anyone else here along that same stretch o' beach tonight?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I stay as far away from the Jersey shore as possible [​IMG]

3. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

Just got back from Seaside Heights. We were supposed to go down for about 3-4 days, but stayed less than one. I have to say it was one of the worst experiences I've had in recent memory, but that was probably more because of my gf's family than the location. [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I was there for Thursday through Saturday, only cause my sister has a place in Monmouth Beach, we saw two nights of fireworks, Thursday, we walked to the beach and saw the ones in Long Branch. I missed the ones in Red Bank cause I didn't get there til Thursday morning and saw the ones in Sea Bright on Friday night.. We could see them right from my sister's backyard so both days we didn't have to deal with parking/traffic which is a nightmare... If I had my bike with me, we'd bike everywhere but alas I didn't so we were able to avoid driving by walking the mile or two to get to the shore..

Jay

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>If I had my bike with me, we'd bike everywhere but alas I didn't so we were able to avoid driving by walking the mile or two to get to the shore.. >>
    Heh, that's why I like the Jersey Shore, all Flatlands. I usually take my bike for a two mile ride, wich makes for 4 both ways. Sometimes twice a day. Hopefully it'll help put a dent in this weight dillema [​IMG].

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Welcome to NJ, now go home. Get off my beaches Bennies!

Hehe, just kidding. Buy a few extra hot dogs on the way home, the locals deserve it for putting up with 2 months of misery a year.

BTW Red Bank's fireworks were among the best I've seen, top 3 at least.

But dammit, its the NAVE A SINK River, not NAV UH SINK, even the frickin radio DJ's are bennies. =(

Sam

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, that's why I'm a mountains person, hiking, biking, backpacking, etc.... I don't see why people flock down to the shore instantly when it gets warm out. The best time I spent at the shore was when I was in Cape May for Halloween, I did a 60 mile bike loop from Cape May up to Stone Harbor and down through wildwood and was able to bike on the boardwalk with nobody on the place, check out the closed amusement park rides and basically enjoy it without crowds of people and nutso traffic. If my sister didn't have a place down there, no way in hell would I be down there over the long holiday weekend. In fact, we left there saturday afternoon to skip the crazy Sunday exodus.
    Now if people would stop going to the Catskills and the Adirondacks.....sigh [​IMG], traffic on the NYS thruway southbound is always nuts on Sundays, but fortunately, I'm familiar with most of the backways and now know how to get back from the Kinston exit down to NJ without going on the thruway.
    The best time on a beach is at night! The crowds leave and the sand is still warm. I loved Kauai, camping out at Kalalau Beach and being the only ones actually camping on the beach and just falling asleep to the waves..
    ..and being washed out to sea..
    ha ha, just kidding about the sea part.
    [​IMG]
    Jay
    Jay

8. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone else hear about this in Point Pleasant Beach?
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/07/dec....ap/index.html

9. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    My fiance and I spent the night on her familys boat in Red Bank on the Navesink. We got to see the spectacular fireworks for the second year in a row.
    Coincidentally July 3 is also our anniversary, so it was an extra special July 4 weekend! [​IMG]
    Eric.

10. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I havent heard "Bennies" in a while.. HAHA
    Anyway while everyone was at the beach. RT 4 and RT 17 were empty and driving to the city Sat nite took 20 mins [​IMG]
    I love it when everybody leaves and goes somewhere else..
    Mike