What's new

Anyone seen "the Who: Live At The Royal Albert Hall"? (1 Viewer)

LARUE

Stunt Coordinator
I know they're not the band they were during the days of Moonie, but they always seem give it their all. Besides the 2 disc DVD looks hot.
5.1 DTS, 5.1 Dolby Digital
Screen Format: 1.77:1
16x9:YES
Documentary with Roger Daltrey
Rehearsal and backstage footage
Multi-Angle footage
Special Guests: Bryan Adams, Noel Gallagher, Kelly Jones, Kennedy, Eddie Vedder and Paul Weller
(awww, not the old MTV Kennedy?)
Anyway, has anyone got a look at this yet?
LARUE
patriot.gif

[Edited last by LARUE on September 27, 2001 at 01:42 AM]

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
I have it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet; probably sometime over the weekend. If no one else has watched it yet, I'll post some impressions for you...
------------------
Kevin

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They're a lot closer to the old Who than they were in 1989 that's for sure. It's a fantastic concert, I caught the PPV broadcast which was excerpts from the DVD last month. I plan on buying it, but it wasn't available at my local Best Buy on Tuesday when I stopped by.
confused.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
It's great -- a must-buy if you're a fan. The DTS track is thunderous (you can finally hear John) and the anamorphic video is lovely. (Though the quality does vary from camera to camera a bit, which is typical for a live event with lots of bright flashing lights and fog everywhere.)
The behind-the-scenes extras are quite nice, though not nearly long enough.
As far as the performance itself, the 2000 Who are closer to their early-70s prime than at any time since '78. Zak Starkey does an amazing job of giving the rest of the band the push they need (which Jones and even Phillips never did). Highly recommended (even if they did cut out "Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand" and "Gettin in Tune" for some unknown reason).
Ryan

FredCampbell

Agent
I just got my copy of this set in the mail today, and I've got to agree with pretty much everything Ryan says (the only point I disagree with, Ryan, is the one about Starkey's drumming. It's great, but I think Phillips did just a bit better). I picked up a bootleg cd of the concert while I was in London this summer, and I've been chomping at the bit to get this dvd set ever since it was announced. It's great. The sound was obviously mastered by some one who knows what a Who concert is really like. I saw the band live for the first time in 1975, and I've seen them 4 times since on various tours. This dvd concert comes the closest to the '75 version of The Who than anything I've seen since.
As I am also a die-hard OASIS fan, I have to add that I tend to see the Noel Gallagher performance on "Won't Get Fooled Again" as a passing of the torch. He reminds me of a yound Townshend more than ever in that bit.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great perfomance by the Who. Nice to see Pete back on lead electric guitar again after a few gigs at playing acoustic guitar only.
However the 5.1 audio is very gimicky with excessive echo which makes listening a very disorienting experience. This becomes very apparent when sound levels are increased to concert level.
I have several concert dvds recorded at the Royal Albert Hall that provide a nice subtle hall ambiance effect, but The Who is garish in this regard.
The audio mix is uneven with Roger's vocals being pushed into the background and lacking the presence one should experience from a live show.
When I watch a concert dvd I want an immersive experience but this mix is seriously lacking.
If only it had the detail and dynamics of King Crimson Deja Vrooom.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The audio mix is uneven with Roger's vocals being pushed into the background and lacking the presence one should experience from a live show.
I agree that the mix seemed unbalanced, but I was more concerned because I thought the drums were badly pushed under the roar. I felt the percussion lacked much presence and seemed awfully dinky. Overall, I found the mix to be fairly good - when I review it, it'll get a "B+" - but it wasn't one of the best 5.1 music tracks I've heard...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Dan B

Screenwriter
I finally received my copy today, and I agree that this is a must for Who fans and a good concert overall. I'd agree with the above criticisms of the sound...however, this is probably the best looking and sounding video they've released yet, and I found the mix enjoyable. (I've only listened to the DTS track)
-Dan

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got my copy.
This is a great looking and sounding DVD, the DTS and DD soundtracks really have a different sound to them, not sure which one I like better.
The second disk could have been soooo much more, a second disk with only about 30 minutes if extras! c'mon! it should have been 2 hours of extras.
Everyone should see and hear this disc its very impressive.
------------------
lexx.jpg
The best Sci-Fi in while

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I got my copy this week and so far I have only browsed. I tend to agree with the audio critiques above. The DD (I don't have DTS) is LOUD! If I put my receiver anywhere near the setting I'm used to the volume hurts.
Frankly, some parts of the disc make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Nigel Kennedy's ending on Baba O'Riley is brilliant as is John's solo on 5:15. Great concert (had the pleasure of seeing it in Dallas) and great DVD - although the extras could have been longer.
N

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if there are any plans for the 1989 "The Who Live, Featuring the Rock Opera Tommy" to be released? Although I haven't seen the new one yet, the '89 was pretty awesome.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if there are any plans for the 1989 "The Who Live, Featuring the Rock Opera Tommy" to be released? Although I haven't seen the new one yet, the '89 was pretty awesome.
I would not expect to see it. Catalog music video almost never gets re-released. I have two copies of the LaserDisc, both of which have lots of rot.
frown.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks