What's new
World Wide Stereo

Anyone seen the boycott Monster Stuff? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse James and the boys from "Monster Gararge" better watch out. No, wait.......Jesse could kick Noel's a$$

Edited after reading entire list. "Monster Garage" is no. 73. This is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.

The problem with this sort of thing is that it isn't entirely like its big bad Monster Cable picking on every little company they can find. According to US Trademark laws, if someone infringes on your Trademark (ie, Monster), you are required by law to challenge the use of the mark. Its not really up to Monster Cable, the law says they have to. This ensures everyones trademarks stay well defined.
However, the law also allows leeway in the marketplace for products that have nothing to do with eachother. A cable company and a vintage clothing store probably don't sell any overlapping goods, and people aren't likely to think the vintage clothing store has anything to do with the Cable Company. At this point, Monster is probably going overboard.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Here is an email that I sent to them:

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 12:21 AM
To: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'
Subject: Monster Cable trademark
Importance: High

Dear Monster Cable:
Noel Lee, Founder-Owner
Irene Baran, Chief Operating Officer
Daniel Graham, PR Monster
David Tognotti, General Counsel
Taylor Norrish, Internet Marketing Group Manager

I used to be a believer in Monster Cable, I even recommended Monster Cable to everyone I know. But no longer will I do this, I will in fact discourage anyone and everyone from purchasing or using your products due to your ridiculous conduct on your law suits on the name Monster. This is just ridiculous and outrageous for you to strong arm and demand a percent of profits from small companies such as Monster vintage clothing and many others. I see this as pure greed and nothing else. I look down upon this petty and greed driven pursuit that you are engaged in.

You have a product that sells. Are you hurting that bad that you need to pursue small companies to get that extra percent from them?

No one confuses any of these other business with yours. This appears as a greed issue with your company.

Stop this ridiculous action that you are taking and get back to making and selling your products.

I will do my best to advocate against the use of any of your products, both on the internet and verbally. I will also start many websites with the name monster in it with all of you law suits and what you are doing to small companies. I will heavily promote these sites on all major and minor search engines to gain as much public viewing as possible so people will know what your company is really all about, that being greed and strong arming small companies for a name ‘monster’ that has been around longer than your company was even a thought. I will continue my pursuit to inform the public and discourage them of the use of your products until you stop your actions.

Thank you for your time.

Michael Skeway

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
There was a good reason why I never really liked the Monster thing...the syndrome that has infected even retail places like Home Depot.

This became more poignant for me when I saw Mr. Lee (and am using that term quite loosely) dressed as a maffia goon--machine gun on hand, no less!--in a picture from an ad he and other characters ran in several audio and home theater rags a few years ago.
Suing an small company because of the Monster name (what, does he believe to have sole rights to that English language word?) is the straw that broke the camel's back for me!

The fact that he wants to capitalize in a Bose-like manner is enough reason for me never again (yea...even I have fallen for some of his products in the past too, but no more let me tell 'ya!) buy anything of that over priced, over hyped Monster stuff, which is no different or better than what can be gotten much, much cheaper elsewhere... :angry:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I thought they were overpriced before (still do) and tended to stay away from them. Now, I will join the boycott. I will also recommend to friends to boycott them.

Their actions are horrible.

edit: I have emailed monster, as others have, outlining my contempt for their actions and stating I will no longer give patronage to their company.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
"THOSE MONSTERS!!!" I can't believe it. What's friggin next, Home Theater Forum sues all packages and products referring to Home Theater..,hey...wait, I just thought of plan that can help this forum grow. ;) .Seriously my question is what asshole gave this company the exclusive rights to the word Monster. All those companies that are being sued should file a class action countersuit and have the Court issue an injunction against this terrible company from having these rights. You know I've never been :angry: so mad and furious about this. I'm going to do something that will indicate my passionate and sincere anger with this. I'm pulling every cable from that terrible company cutting them up and sending it back to them. I would prefer the address of the owner if anyone can supply this information. Acoustic Research, Bettercables and Bluejean, here I come get ready to take my money. This is simply PATHETIC

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'll send it to the Irene Baran as stated in the first post. I still can't believe that someone in the patent office gave a patent to a company to a common word as Monster. Wonder how much this jerk got for letting this go through. I smell green laced pockets and in my world in the federal government indictments are returned from a grand jury against this practice against both the one that gave the money and the one who accepted it. I apologize for the back to back replies but everytime I think about it it just steams me.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I just listened to a voice mail left by a representative from the company stating that there is more to the story than is represented by monster vintage. His name is Dave Tognaughty (Have no idea how it's spelled but it's said Tog-naughty).

I will be giving him a call back later an will post with a paraphrase. Frankly, I'm surprised that the company called me as quickly as they did, or at all. Very 'grassroots'. He seemed very cordial and honestly wanted to tell their side of the story. I'm willing to listen. I'll report back!

Edit:
here's my original email body...

To whom it may concern at Monster Cable.

I have read on the internet, as many others have, that Monster Cable pursues many small non-audio companies in lawsuits over having 'monster' in their name. I believe that this is ridiculous and should immediately be halted.

I will no longer buy Monster Cable branded cables (or any unmarked subsidiary) in protest of these actions. I am a young consumer of 23 years and will be buying audio products for the next half century. I hope that I can also discourage my peers from supporting a company that preys on small cottage businesses that have probably never heard of Monster Cable and pose no threat to your earnings.

Listen to your consumers.

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure he could come up with his own spin regarding the monster vintage suit, but how do you explain the 100 other cases currently pending?

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Does anyone know if it's appropriate if I give the Mr. Tognatti a link to this thread to illustrate the displeasure with their practices, or will this get the site in trouble? I would hate to cause this wonderful site hardship.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Adam,

Thank you for your message. Before you rush to judgment you should have all the facts. Please feel free to call me to discuss further at 415-840-2000. I welcome your call, and calls from any of your friends.

Our trademark protection strategy is reasonable and necessary to protect our brand. We have invested an extraordinary amount of money and effort over the last 26 years to build our brand. It is wrong for companies to leverage our brand identity and goodwill for their own gain.

You may know us as Monster Cable, however we have many business units which sell other products under the Monster brand such as: clothing, furniture, food products, apparel, automotive products, amplifiers, training services, speakers, gaming products, and music, to name a few. Because our product line has grown so broadly we have to protect our trademark in many areas.

Trademarks are important to companies and to consumers. They tell consumers what they are getting is the genuine article made by and backed by the company identified by the trademark. Monster's work to protect its trademark also protects consumers who might think that some of these goods are made by Monster, when they are not of the same quality and standards of Monster goods.

I know you are concerned about the trademark related lawsuits we have filed, please know:

We do not file a lawsuit without having a compelling legal and business reason to do so, and in the majority of the cases, only after giving the infringing party ample warning and sufficient opportunity to resolve the matter on reasonable terms. A lawsuit is a last resort option.

We do not seek to profit off of these lawsuits. In fact, they are very costly. We sue to protect our brand from dilution and infringement, not to make money. Unfortunately, this is a necessary cost doing of business when you have a famous brand, and as long as there are unscrupulous people who want to trade off of someone else's brand.

Monster is a famous trademark, that has come to stand for our unique products which broadly range from stereo cables (the first MCP product) and interconnects to power products, automotive accessories, clothing, video game products, home theater products including M Design furniture and even Monster mints. Because our product line has grown so broadly we have to protect our trademark in many areas.

We don't target small businesses. We have sued large multinational companies when it was necessary to protect our brand. In fact, we are involved in several suits right now with companies that are many times larger than us. We don't focus on the size of a company before suing them. We focus on whether or not their activity is (or has the chance
to) harm our company and brand.

We have over 50 "Monster" trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, for many products (not just cable). Many of these "Monster" trademarks are incontestable and have been registered for over 20+ years.

We know we don't own the word Monster, nor do we purport to, however, we like any other trademark holder do have the right and need to protect our Monster brand when it is in danger of being diluted, tarnished, or infringed.

We are still a family company, owned and run by our founder, Noel Lee. He started our company in his parent's garage 25 years ago. He named the company "Monster" and created the Monster brand long before anyone else had the courage or marketing foresight to call a company and its products "Monster." We have been using the Monster brand since 1978, it's an important part of the company's culture and stands for the high quality, innovative products that Monster has offered under the Monster trademark for decades, and is worthy of careful protection.

I hope this information helps. We value you as a customer, and hope you stay with us. We feel that our product quality and innovation is second to none, and would like for you to continue to enjoy your music and video in the best way possible.

Thanks,

Dave

David M. Tognotti
General Counsel
Monster Cable Products, Inc.
455 Valley Drive Brisbane, CA 94005
PH:1.415.840.2000
FX: 1.415.468.0310
Email: [email protected]

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Monster Cable is not the only company that sue's for copyright infrindgment. So what are you all going to do? Boycott anyone who tries to protect their name? They are simply doing what the law permits. I think you should be writing letters to your local politicians to get them to change the laws. Its the only way you'll stop it.

Kevin

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I think it's perfectly reasonable to protect a trademark. If someone starts a company called Monster Signal Distribution, or Monster Wire, then clearly the trademark has been diluted. This might extend to Monster Music, M-Design, or whatever other trademarks Monster Cable owns. But what about such an unrelated trademark as Monster Truck Mania? It's at this point where it becomes ridiculous. Surely Mr. Tognotti isn't going to tell me that Monster Cable also plans monster truck events?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Exactly! They are suing build-a-monster. I don't see da Bears suing build-a-bear.

How about Monster Snot is Monster Cable in the kids novelty snot biz?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks