What's new

Anyone remember a scary flick called " Burnt Offerings" ? No DVD yet . (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Anyone remember the creepy flick from the mid 70's Burnt Offerings starring Oliver Reed and Karen Black ?
I saw this movie at the theater when I was 9 yrs. old and it freaked me out. I had the hair along the back of my neck stand up in certain scenes especially the ending :eek: !!
Even though it is certainly outdated it still gives me the willies when I watch it. Definately a recommend to anyone who has not seen it. It is not gory or bloody by any means, but just totally creepy. A perfect Halloween flick!
Does anyone know who owns the rights to this one and when it might appear on DVD ?
Thanks for any info,
TROY

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I freaked out watching it as a kid when the father rough-houses with his son in the swimming poll (and almost drowns him). Cripes...it still freaks me out!

Thos.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Man, I'd forgotten about this film. I loved it, but all I remember was the end. SPOOOOOOKY!!!
That poor family :frowning:

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Rex,
All I meant by " outdated " was that it was a middle 70's film and that it does not fit the bill as a more modern special affects horror fest film.
sorry, shouldn't have used that term without defining my meaning. ;)
Later!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I remember this as being slow, talky, and having an insufferable child actor. But the final five minutes were pretty cool.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
It's a terric pic- tons of atmosphere and is available on a Reg. 2 disc.

Let's hope for a commentary or some extras- I know Dan Curtis and co. are interested in doing one.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This film recently came out in R2 UK. Does anyone know if the DVD is widescreen?

Lafe F

Second Unit
I picked up the Burnt Offerings region 2 disc. How do I tell if it's open matte or not? It's definitely full-frame. I can post screen-shots here for those who are wondering about the picture quality and cropping.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Hi Lafe.

I've got a 35mm print of the opening reel. If you post a frame grab of the first shot inside the car at the start of the film (I believe it's Karen Black looking out the window) then I'll be happy to let you know if it's open matte or not.

DG

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
This movie terrified me as a child. Oliver Reed was excellent. The ending is one of the best ever for this type of film. What was up in the attic was not a huge shock for me but what was said and what happened next was brilliant. Count me in on the DVD release if OAR.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Oh Yes! Definately remember Bette Davis as the seniled grandmother.. she was even creepy in her own way.
Hey DeanR,
you're right, that ending I'll never forget. That whole scene leading up to who he discovered was in the room was acted out great. Very slowly as it built up the tension within you. Yikes! I"m scaring myself right now. I'd better stop :frowning: ;)
sure hope the R1 will be OAR too.
Later!

Matthew_Austin

Auditioning
(Demon Seed, which I had (falsely???) remembered as a UA-released film, seems to be in that category.)
Nope, you were right the first time. Demon Seed was a United Artist film. Check out this Link Removed which has all the original theatrical posters. Each one says released by United Artists.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
DEMON SEED was an MGM production which, because of all the screwy sell-offs and whatnot at the time, was released by UA. I am quite sure the film is the property of Warner Bros.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Hi Rafe- sorry for the delay. I was waiting for a new post- didn't know you were going to modify the old one...
I compared the shot on my 35mm print to the frame grab from the UK DVD.
Good news- the UK DVD appears to be open matte. I'll have to pick it up- I'm a completist about such things.
I cropped the image (see below) using photoshop to match the print and show the appropriate theatrical dimensions. While shot unmatted, it was designed for 1.85 projection and the prints themselves were matted to avoid framing problems in projection.

If that doesn't show up, click here:
http://www.auctionpix.co.uk/users/sxs79328.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks