What's new

Anyone own the Russ Meyer DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There are six so far in the US, and 6 more in France. I'm wondering how the quality of these are. The French ones can be had as a set for about $40, while the US versions are listed at $40 each (or buy 2 get one free).

I never managed to get the entire set on LD. I would hope that Russ' commentary on the Vixen LDs makes it to the eventual DVDs.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I'm holding out for Faster Pussycat!

There's a place reserved on my shelf for it between Reform Scool Girls and Olgas House of Shame :D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Oh please tell me where!!
A certain popular auction site (search for "Russ Meyer DVD"). These are R2 discs, and from the listings it looks like the French subtitles may not be removeable on some players.

Speaking of Meyer, Peter Staddon from Fox had indicated in January that Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was in the works through an as yet undisclosed partner. I am hoping that deal is still in the works.

Incidentally, from the reviews I've now seen of the R2s, they look to be pretty poor in quality, rating D and C- from the reviewers, and apparently sourced from video tape. Faster Pussycat is supposed to be one of the worst...

I hope the R1s are of better quality, but I'm dubious of plunking down cash before getting definitive word.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
By all accounts, Criterion are handling Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - see here.

I've also heard rumours that Criterion are going to be release other Fox properties, like Robert Altman's 3 Women, Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha and Luchino Visconti's The Leopard.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, I was aware of the Criterion connection, but am a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything official yet.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Incidentally, from the reviews I've now seen of the R2s, they look to be pretty poor in quality, rating D and C- from the reviewers, and apparently sourced from video tape. Faster Pussycat is supposed to be one of the worst...
The LDs were apparently sourced from the same video masters as Russ' VHS tapes as well, and looked kinda soft. How about the R1 DVDs? I haven't had the chance to see any of them. Doesn't Meyer have access to original film elements of his own films? (or doesn't he care?)

Matt Shiv

Agent
The R2 Faster Pussycat dvd is the only disc I've bought from outside R1 that my Cyberhome 500 player does not like. I don't know what the problem is, but the image pixellates beyond watchability. I was not impressed and rather disappointed after spending the money importing it from Amazon France!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Since the Russ Meyer site only lists 6 movies on disk, is there some possibility the other ones are bootlegs?

I have seen DVD movies on the auction sites that I am not aware of having been issued as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks