What's new

Anyone know what's up with the PBS New York Box Set? (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Everywhere I look for it, even on pbs.org it's either out of stock or Backordered.
Did they not manufacture this yet? Did they only press 500 copies or something? Anyone know the deal with this one?
Thanks
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
As I understand it, there was a change made to the last episode, so that it would include mention of last month's events. The final two episodes aired on PBS just a couple of weeks ago.
My guess is it's been delayed because of the change, although I haven't heard anything official on that.

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Huh? Delayed? Then what's that boxed set I've been watching over the past couple weeks. My copy arrived about two weekss ago from Ken Cranes. I'm up to the sixth DVD right now. Great documentary and, so far, excellent transfer.
Only quibbles, all the commercials are included and you can't fast forward through them. There are a few extras on the first disc, nothing so far on the rest.
If as someone said, they're updating it for the September events, will they provide an updated disc for those who already have the set?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I read in a small blub in The Toronto Star the other day that Ric Burns has the only surviving copy of an 18 minute film documenting the construction of the twin towers. The other copy? It's in the Port Authority vault, where WTC is now.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
My wife, while browsing the DVD aslie of Cosco's just buzzed me and mentioned this 7 disc set. For their great price, I couldn't resist and instructed her to put it in her cart.
Doing some research on changes post 9/11 (from the Washington Post):
'The only changes Burns has made since Sept. 11: A newly minted dedication to New Yorkers, who "for nearly 400 years ... have faced adversity and prevailed." And a revamped final-credits sequence for Chapter 7, with newsreel glimpses of the World Trade Center being built and, from December 1970, workers proudly topping out the north tower.'
He also stated another chapter will be added next year.
[Edited last by John Tillman on November 09, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Popped in the 1st disk last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It dealt with the beginnings of NYC with the Dutch and major events up to the early 1800's. It was mostly a history lesson but it was easy to extract a major developing theme that the spirts of Manhattan embraced from the get go. Capitalism.
At the end of the American Revolution, NYC was considered to be the political capital of the country. Hamilton had the insight to cut a deal with Jefferson and set up the political capital in a 'swampland' several hundred miles to the south, which allowed NYC to float FED bonds to rebuild (the British torched NYC before leaving) the area into a trading capital once again.
Anyway, this series looks great, as someone who grew up in the NYC suburbs (and still live there) I'm eager to learn the history of the past 200 years. NYC obviously has enemys... not only terrorists, but there has always been anti-NY sentiment across the country, at least in my lifetime. I'm hoping to walk away with a better understanding of why that is and why it still exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks