What's new

Anyone else here absolutely loathe the character of SCOOBY DO? (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

How about the brat that they added to Pinky and The Brain? (The show should have been renamed "Elmira Tortures Pinky and The Brain and Their Fans".)

Then there was the horror known only as "The Smurfs". Look away, look away! (And don't ask why there is only a single female Smurfette for all of those young males.)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Its funny you mention this, because I just read something at Animation World Magazine wherein there was a quote basically stating that Smirfet was added to the Smirfs as a marketing gimmick, and that the original concept had no female smirfs at all.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
It's strange that as a kid, I LOVED SCOOBY DOO!!! If not for Scooby Doo I may have never learned how to tie my shoe strings. My mother wouldn't allow me to watch one day until I learned how to tie my shoes. It took me about 2 minutes to learn befor the show came on, and they had be trying for days.

But now I HATE SCOOBY DOO WITH A PASSION!!! And the irony is all of my 4 kids absolutely love the $h!t!! I'm in hell.:angry:

edit: but I must admit to this day I still like the opening song, go figure.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

But that poll is about the live-action Scooby-Doo... I was referring to the cartoon characters. :)

In live-action I think Velma blows away Daphne with physical appearance... in the cartoon, however, even though Daphne may have more physical beauty - I think Velma is more likely to have a bull whip tucked under her bed. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a loather but I liked Rocky & Bullwinkle. Some, though, have thought that Scooby Doo cartoons are satanic.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Chu, I find that post pretty funny. I'm a Christian and probably as conservative as they come, but I just find all that silly. In the 80's I used to hear about Smurfs and many many other things being "evil." Sure, I guess if any kid takes anything too seriously, it can become a bad thing. Interesting article. As for Scooby, I don't like it as much as I used to, but then again I feel the same way now about the Flintstones. Scrappy is the devil.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm also a pretty conservative Christian, and I don't buy the Satanic thing for a second. It seems like every cartoon I watched growing up was called Satanic, including GI-Joe. The article I referenced in my last post didn't really talk about that issue specificially but it did get in to the idea of how 1 can read way too much in to cartoons, and that sometimes a cartoon is just a cartoon.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Twas simply a parody gentlemen and no offence or intent to insult. I recall the Subaru stuff also and then we have the stories about the Masons. Oliver Stone material. Me, I would've sent Scooby over to Korea where he could wind up as the dinner special ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
As a kid I was rather fond of Scooby Doo. Now I find it a bit silly, but surely "hate" is too strong an emotion? It's just a kids' cartoon.

(Hands up, must confess, I just bought the boxset, but for my missus, who's rather fond of it -- we specifically added Cartoon Network to our cable package because she wanted to watch the old cartoons, and Scooby is one of her favourites...)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, if its a parity, then its a pretty good one, and there was no offense, because sadly though that may have been a parity I know people that would feel that way. Myself personally, I try not to read too much in to cartoons.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Scooby Doo lost any appeal it may once have had when, at the age of eleven, I saw one of those godawful episodes with the Globetrotters or Three Stooges. At that instant, I knew that I hated that stupid dog and the show he rode in on.

Now I'm 31 and the Subaru WRX is on the short list of cars that I might buy later this year. If I get it, there will be no Scooby talk permitted, and I'll name the car after a Scooby Doo villain. Something like Farmer Talmadge or Old Man MacGillicuddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks