What's new

Anyone else have poor picture quality on DirecTV local channels? (1 Viewer)

ssutherland

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Sutherland
I recently purchased the new DirecTV HD DVR and had the new satellite dish installed by DirecTV to allow me to get locals in HD. Here is my problem.

When I watch a basketball or football game (or even golf) on ESPN or ESPN 2 on HD, it looks great. However, when I watch the same on a local HD channel, the picture quality suffers significantly. While the image is excellent for static images, as soon as a camera pans the golf course or audience in a football or basketball game, the image pixelates significantly, to the point where you almost cannot make out what you are seeing. Once the camera stops panning, the image locks in to an excellent image. The effect is worse on CBS HD than ABC or NBC, but all 3 are worse than ESPN HD and things like the HD Network.

IN ADDITION, on CBS, we see an annoying thing on the HD channel. Quite often, the image on the screen develops blinking red dots and spotches, often on the faces of the actors on TV. These are NOT visible on the non-HD feed, and do not show up on any other HD channel. It was really bad on ABC (I think) for the season premier of LOST. It makes it un-watchable.

I live in the Boston area, in case this is a regional issue. Has anyone else seen these effects? Are all HD's not created equal?

Scott
Haverhill, MA

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First, your Boston locals are on a spot beam so that means that only Boston area viewers will be able to answer this question. If you really want an answer, there is a Local HDTV section over at AVS Forum. Just find the Boston thread.

Second, it may be an issue with compression. D* re-compresses and cuts some of the resolution of their HD channels. But it is odd that you only see it on the locals. Those are transmitted in MPEG4 on the new satellite while ESPN and other national HD channels are still in MPEG2 and bounced off of the older satellites. That could be the issue but right now I'm just guessing.

Have you connected an antenna to the receiver to pull in your locals that way? Almost always, that will yield the best picture quality. Your HR20-700 DVR will integrate them into the guide and you will be able to record just like a satellite channel. Using the default zip code for Haverhill, MA Antennaweb shows that you have 18 digital stations within 35 miles of you.

-Robert

John Gido

Second Unit

My wife noticed the same thing while watching CSI Miami and I thought she was crazy until I saw it myself. We are watching NY locals so I'll assume that it is a DirecTV issue.

Charles_M

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
I had the same issues with my local channels (Chicago). I have heard DirecTv will install a second dish for locals. I asked them what I needed to do to clean up the picture, they didn't help. So I switched to cable.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The addition dish for locals is only needed for standard definition channels delivered from the 72.5 degree satellite location. If you already get HD locals via an AT9 dish, then that's it. A new dish doesn't help. Either calibrate the TV and lower your expectations or put up an antenna and get the local digital channels OTA. Most of the time that will result in a better picture.

-Robert

Thomas_A

Second Unit
NBC has weird audio tracks in HD- sometimes sounds like a "hall" effect. Mostly during commercials- go figure...other then that...down here in S.A.- my Direct is awesome- way better then I ever got with Dish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks