What's new

Anyone else dissaponted that DSOTM is not coming on DVDA (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin,
Please tell me that album is not from your personal collection. :eek: ;)
Rachael,
Were you serious or joking about the Dead on DVD-Audio? Workingman's Dead and American Beauty have been out on DVD-Audio for quite awhile now. I don't have either disc, but I have read that both sound great. Both discs have discrete stereo tracks. If Michael_T comes in here, I'm sure he will give you the skinny on these discs.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Re: American Beauty and Workingman's Dead...

Those two perfectly-cut gems are almost reason alone for me to get a DVD-A player! Almost...

BTW, since we have some insiders here, I've been wondering about something Grateful Deadish... a very large trunk of so-called "Betty Boards" reels were sold in auction many years ago. These were live recordings mixed down by Betty Iforgetherlastname, and among the finest GD live tapes around. Among these are the legendary 5/8/77 Barton Hall concert, which has been among the most popular and most traded of all live Dead shows. It always sounded great, but several years ago the master reels were "remastered" (I hope I'm using that term correctly) and for the first time were correctly "decoded" (or something) from Dolby. As great as this show always sounded, it sounded infinitely better after this "remastering". It was given, as they like to say on the Steve Hoffman forums, "the breath of life"... and how!

My question... did someone famous (or at least famous among music geeks) do the remastering? It would certainly have been on the sly as these "Betty Boards" are in a serious gray zone as far as sharing, as the Dead have been trying unsuccessfully to return them to their own Vault for years. But, apparently, the law is against them in this instance, with rights held by the person purchasing them at auction.

I realize this is a huge aside, but I've always sorta wondered...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
It's all good on this end.
Sorry, about the 'speech'.
When your getting attacked all the time, I am sure it's easy for you too miss one or two.
At least your not defensive, all the time!
In your reply too "threaten", you used the term "Super Audio fans". I was trying to point out, the 'remark' was made too you [alone]. But, too you that may be just water off a duck's back.
That's a lot said, for a little solved!
Hope 'my' solution too the "problem" of SACD vs. DVD-A, affordable & great sounding to both formats, hardware is here soon.
Then we can all just sit back and groove!
Peace Out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks